Sunday 14 February 2021

The army of Hrvatska

 Last weekend I industriously took photos on my work supplied phone. Excellent quality, but alas due to aol changing email settings, they were stripped out from the email attachments. Attempts to upload from the phone were scuppered by security protocols.....sometimes I hate technology!

After wasting time trying to correct, it has had to wait until now for me to revert to using the tablet. Hence, three posts on Valentine's Day!

I present a parade of the army of Hrvatska (envisaged as a sort of Saxon-Polish theme with hints of Hannover and the Baltic):

Guard Cavalry


Line cavalry and Uhnlan lancers 



Army and Corps commanders



Infantry






Militia and Pandours


Massed artillery



8 comments:

  1. I like these - very 'old school', in the nicest possible way! Got to get some Spencer-Smiths sometime. Saxony is a good idea too: I just read the Helion book 'Between Scylla and Charibdis' ( going cheap on Naval and Military Press ) and was thinking they would be an interesting 'third force' perhaps shifting between Prussian and Austrian allegiance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David.
      The Saxon army book is very nice, I'd suggest picking up the 2nd volume too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you.
      When planning the armies I have always sketched out uniforms using very crude drawings. It allows you to try out colour combinations and similar.
      Some of these have made it through from first doodle to completion (Bravancefor example), but others have gone through many permutations.
      Flags have been a problem. The game gives a heraldic emblem and main colour.
      So far, only two nations have flag patterns that came from the first ideas, Bravance and Argozia. All the rest have vague ideas that have changed over time.
      There is an obvious Polish influence with the White Eagle; the geometric squares and diamonds followed from that.
      I was conscious to avoid anything that look too British or Hanovarian.

      Delete
  3. A cracking army Neil, those Spencer Smiths look the bees knees.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul.
      Sadly I don't have the patience (or room) to field 48 figure battalions! I'm sure they would look even more impressive en masse.....
      Neil

      Delete
  4. Thanks Jonathan. I hope to do the same for all of the armies.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...