Thursday 17 November 2022

Christopher Duffy R.I.P

Just heard of the passing of Dr Christopher Duffy.

Co-incidentally, I have been reading "An Instrument of War" the first volume of his work on the Austrian army of the SYW as my bedtime book.

Back in the early 1980s when I developed an interest in the SYW and C18th in general, his books were the "bible" for serious scholars, although his "Army of Maria Theresa" was very scarce and difficult to obtain . I was therefore overjoyed to be offered a copy at a very reasonable price in response to a letter in Military Modelling requesting a copy.

I have copies of all his C18th titles, although I have yet to read some of them.

I'm also reminded of his tours; I was very jealous at discovering that a lot of the Cornwall wargamers had been on one, organised by the SYW Association, although their experiences had been "mixed". It appears there was something of a cultural clash between the UK and US gamers; the US gamers being much more respectful of Dr Duffy whom the UK gamers christened "Von Duffy" for the pro-German views he expressed!

In any case, I personally owe him a great debt for his works which have enriched my reading on the SYW.

R.I.P



10 comments:

  1. Hear hear Neil.
    I can imagine he actually saw the funny side of the 'von Duffy' moniker, and maybe even flattered. Especially as one of his heroes was another 'von' with Irish roots, Maximilian von Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he would!
      He does have an eye for the humorous and unusual in his narrative. I was just reading of an Italian junior officer who had attended a college. His passion for things military extended to spending his allowance on wax, wire, steel, lead buckshot and coloured paper to produce miniature soldiers with cannon made from hollow keys which were arranged all over a table! I suspect Dr Duffy has spent too long amongst wargamers!
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Neil -
    I have always found Christopher Duffy's narration very readable and engaging. No dry historian, he! His 'Army of Maria-Theresa' was my manual for creating my Army of Trockenbeeren-Auslese, the infantry and cavalry units chosen carefully from their military records as outlined in AoMT. Though an Imagin-army I used the Austrian serial numbers and Inhabers, which gives the whole thing some character. I eventually did the same thing with my armies of Altmark-Uberheim (Prussia) and the Grand Duchy of M'yasma (mini-Russia), but lacked the sure guiding hand.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you didn't have his Army of Frederick the Great?
      His history is very readable although his later works edge towards "reference" . I've just got through a chapter on the contribution of various provinces to the army which was very dry....
      Neil


      Delete
    2. Ah, yes. If you've been reading Instrument of War, I can see what you mean! It's more like the sort of 'academic' history we had to read at university 😀.

      Delete
    3. I do have Duffy's 'Frederick the Great: A Military Life' (1985), and that is a fine read. I did reference the 'Army of Frederick the Great' (borrowed from a local library as I recall) and made considerable use of that. Many of his other books I've seen mentioned lately - e.g. 'Military Experience' - I've not seen.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    4. Military Experience in the Age of Reason is a very good read. It gives an understanding of how C18th soldiers thought about and perceived war. Well worth a read.
      Neil

      Delete
    5. Instrument of War is a bit of an odd mix; part Duffy chatty history with asides on the character and behaviour of individuals, part dry statistical driven textbook.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Christopher will live forever in the works he leaves behind. A great loss.

    ReplyDelete

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats. Some more Gascon "Adventureur" c...