Sunday 8 January 2023

Painting and podcasts

An update on painting from over the Christmas period. The first contingent for the Electoral Army is Naervaron, awaiting varnish, flags basing and labels.


Four infantry, one medium and one light cavalry, one gun and crew plus four personalities /  staff; a total of 35 foot 10 mounted and 1 gun in two weeks. Most days have managed 1-2 hours as a minimum 5-6 maximum.

What I have discovered is painting has been improved by listening to podcasts; for some reason I have been able to concentrate more and slowed the painting down so that I've been making fewer mistakes. The net result has been improved productivity. A couple of hours can disappear without having to think about "just doing one more colour" and forcing myself to maintain the production line to reach a self imposed target of completion.

I'm late to podcasts (as with most things, such as blogging), but I've found the following entertaining:

The Yarkshire Gamer, strong views and occasional strong language but usually very funny:

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/search/label/Podcast

Henry Hyde (when he actually lets his guests get a word in ☺):

https://battlegames.co.uk/battlechat-podcasts/

If anyone has any suggestions for others (historical / gaming), please put a link in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. Great painting - am I seeing a well done black undercoat there? It does seem to be the best solution for painting troops - and I have tried everything else...
    Nice podcast recommendations - non-hobby, but I do seem to be listening to Joe Rogan more and more, at least when he has a sensible guest on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren,
    Thank you, most kind. Yes, they are in black undercoat; rattle-can automotive spray primer. Preferably matt, but have used gloss if that's all I could get; the personalities were in gloss which causes some problems with acrylic paint beading until you get enough coverage.
    After spraying, I tend to touch up undersides with normal black acrylic as the spray never seems to reach however well you spray from different angles.
    I switched to black undercoat long before it was made fashionable by Kevin Dallymore. It's a great way to lift simple block painting by leaving a black lining. You can add highlights if you wish. For the Spencer Smiths I don't usually bother, only concentrating on faces for the personalities.
    For these, the idea was to lift the shallow details by a black lining (much like Charles Grant's figures in the Wargame). They get washed and a coat of acrylic varnish before the spray, as well as a coat of varnish after painting.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I mostly paint in silence since it gives me time to think (often about Wargaming), I do listen to Ancient Warfare Magazine, Dan Snow, Tides of History podcasts, and The Teaching Company’s Great Courses lecturers regularly.

    Good progress on the painting front so listening to something is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan,
    Interesting. Having time to think is maybe what distracts me! I've listened to music in the past, but it wasn't the same.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Audible. Has books and podcasts. HUGE catalog.
    Nice progress on the miniatures. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Stew. Didn't think of audio books. Interesting.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al Mrray and James Holland's 'We Have Ways of Making You Talk' is pretty good, and there are loads of episodes by now. I recently heard one where they read diary extracts from combatants on both sides in Italy at Xmas 1943 - really interesting. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks David, I'll check that out.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Fornovocating

Over at Jonathan's blog https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/ he has been playing remote games of Fornovo, based on the new scen...