Perhaps unadvisedly, I dug out all the painted Gauls from the various boxes to check on how many I actually had in a painted state....
To misquote Zulu... Centurion - "scouts report Gauls to the South West ......thousands of them!"
There are 24 stands of cavalry and 6 stands of light horse....
"Solid" warbands and hordes
"Fast" warbands and hordes
Skirmishers
In the interim, I had painted more cavalry
Gallic
Roman
I have also cleaned up some camps for the Gauls and Germans
Any more Gauls will be four to a base or hordes or command stands and there are still a mob of Germans to finish!
I suspect there has been something of a "project creep" going on although I do need a lot of barbarians to represent the forces in the game on which the campaign will be based. Certainly into Big Battle DBA territory now!
A very impressive collection Neil, looks great and more to come! I would say you are certainly in the Big Battle zone, and they should look great when battle does commence.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie. I was slightly surprised at how many there were as I had just been painting or tarting up groups of elements and putting them in boxes. I sort of had a rough tally, but putting them all out is more impressive!
DeleteNeil
Excellent looking collection
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil. There is a plan....☺
DeleteThe game is card driven and the Gauls appear as a result of the cards (as do the Germans) and different tribes have different strengths. All uncoordinated until the Vercingetorix card appears. I need to allow for combinations of tribes but have capped it around 72 elements.
Neil
You have a lot of Gall!
ReplyDeleteBeat me to it!
DeleteAlan Tradgardland
Jonathan, Frankly I have nothing to say to that! ☺
ReplyDeleteNeil
What do you think would be a suitable collective noun for your Celts?
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
P.s they are looking great.
Alan, an "asterix"? An "impetuosity"? ☺☺
DeleteOr for the naked ones a "flash" or "streak"? ☺☺☺☺
Neil
An impressive array of Gauls. You must have spent a good amount of time painting the various shield designs.
ReplyDeleteThanks Peter. Sadly I did, even on the eBay purchases which generally came with plain colour shields. I found it lifted even very plain figures by just dots or stripes in contrasting colours.
DeleteFaces, shields or flags and bases will lift even the most basic paint job as this is what we see.
Neil
"Project creep" is rather delightful understatement. I think you've got more bases of Gauls than I have individual figures! They do look very grand though, I particularly like the checkerboard pattern on some of the shields.
ReplyDeleteThanks Martin. There are about 99 cavalry, 3 chariots not shown, 260 infantry.
ReplyDeleteNot all the painting is mine, although I did do a few selected checkerboard shields - they are a pain to get right.
Neil
To put the above numbers in context, there are over 200 Romans.
ReplyDeleteNeil
Most impressive! Hope to see some battles with them...
ReplyDeleteThanks David. Working on it!
DeleteNeil