Sunday, 9 August 2026

Making progress....despite the weather!

I have been plowing on with the Celts (and the odd German) with what free time I have after work and at weekends. The more I have done, the more enthused I have been to carry on, hoping to get stuff finished so I can paint something other than b***dy Celts! 😐

I managed to tackle the remaining skirmishers, despite being in black undercoat, with the aid of a home made wet palette (I had forgotten how it was arranged and managed to get the kitchen roll and greaseproof paper the wrong way round and wondered why it wasn't working! 😖)

I also slapped some Contrast Paint on some Minifigs early Germans, with any left overs being slapped onto some Donnington. For the Germans, I went for muted natural colours and simple black or white shields.





They are sitting in a box awaiting varnish - I am resisting going back and adding shield designs to the Germans....

I also tackled some more Celts - the last bar command stands and a chariot and some camp followers. They were a bulk eBay purchase and on inspection were a mix of Forged in Battle and Old Glory 15s - the latter were bare metal and the former in black undercoat. The OG15s got cleaned up and primed white before Contrast Paint, Army Painter washes then tarting up with acrylics....



Still need metallics and final corrections.

I kept the Westwind in black and the few bits of colour. Both were short two figures each, so some old Tabletop figs made up the numbers....



This is the point at which I decided enough was enough - the paint was drying even on the wet palette! I'd also reached my limit before I would just make mistakes, despite trying to push on and get them finished. Part of the problem is that I have not enjoyed painting these figures; I may be simply burnt out on Celts, but I found both problematic - odd anatomy on the OG15s and poorly defined faces on the Westwind - I slogged my way through them, having to correct again and again and ending up with paint where I didn't want it (the design meant there were some tight areas) but it was becoming a chore 😖😔

By contrast, the old Freikorps 15 were a joy, loads of detail allowing washes or almost drybrushing on raised areas.

We seem to be in for another heatwave......😬😣

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making progress....despite the weather!

I have been plowing on with the Celts (and the odd German) with what free time I have after work and at weekends. The more I have done, the ...