Saturday 31 December 2022

Looking back at 2022

As 2022 begins to fade into 2023 (no I don't know where that year went either) a bit of a look back at what I managed to achieve.

The Imperial Estavian Army came into existence. From some initial crude sketches back in the late 1990s an army of white coated infantry with more colourful cavalry and guards appeared. Lets not forget the striking "Zircus Artillerie" either!

It owes its existence to a fifth force for the Soldier King game, not determined by the names and heraldry of the game, so created entirely from imagination and influences.

Obviously, Austria was one, but I was conscious to avoid it becoming a clone. The Saxons provided a greater range of facing colours for the infantry, so I ran with that. I also wanted a Spanish and Neapolitan vibe, so indulged myself with crimson and purple guards and gaudy flags.

It is the largest of the armies and at times all that white was a challenge. I have some ideas for expansion should that prove necessary.

My other focus was on Arab-Israeli; it was more "occasional dabble" rather than focus if I'm honest. I seem to have flitted from one army to another without finishing anything! That said, it means less work is necessary to complete the IDF, Egyptians and Jordanians.

So what's the plans for 2023?

I have already started on the Electoral Army for SK and the AIW stuff needs finishing. I'd love to tackle some unfinished projects (15mm Italian Wars) and some new (WW2 Western Desert, 15mm Flodden and ECW) as well as 28mm ancients especially for Commands and Colors. It might be nice to actually have a game!

So rather than definite plans, I'll aim for vague aspirations; if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that life is more unpredictable.

I'm also mindful that a hobby is supposed to be enjoyed and not become a work project.

2 comments:

  1. Vague aspirations are good enough! Best wishes on moving toward these goals in 2023.

    ReplyDelete

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats. Some more Gascon "Adventureur" c...