Sunday 4 December 2022

Egyptian experiments

This weekend sees an attempt to make a start on the Egyptian armour for 1967.

I've never been entirely happy with the Roco Minitanks models; the T-54 /55 is OK but needs some detailing added, but the JS-3 and T-34/85 were never "quite right". All are some of the earlier models in the Roco line and are quite crude.

The JS-3 was first; it comes with an extremely weedy gun barrel, the turret is too small and sits too far back and the JS-3M supplied to Egypt had sand shields. I corrected some of the more obvious problems and added detail, but it still didn't look right. Adding some height and width to the turret has helped. It's still not perfect and I may try adding a bit more Miliput to the turret. There's a limit to how much it can be improved and some would say "why bother?" My response is that this project is not about buying something off the shelf; it's as much about satisfying my "inner modeller" to see what I can accomplish. I've already surprised myself with what I've produced from limited means to create something unique.

JS-3M


As indicated, I was conscious the T-34/85 was "off" but couldn't quite see why or how. I put it down to the crude model, but wasn't entirely happy. I realised the problem was the turret was too far back. The same model is used for the 76mm T-34 with a different turret. While the 85mm turret is a bit too angular, the position is too far back due to the hole for the turret pin being central. Roco used a common chassis with alternative turret in many of their earlier models (T-54 /T-44, M-60). Here the issue is compounded by the bottom circular part of the turret being moulded to the chassis, not the turret.

Ideally, the turret "pin" needs to be moved backwards. This would create a weakness and would require a plastic card roof inside the turret, as the ideal position interferes with the turret hatch; there is nowhere to secure the pin to on the original turret. The alternative is to drill a new hole. Unfortunately, I see now why Roco didn't do this as they did on other models such as the T-54. Because the hole is no longer central, when the turret turns it does not match the circular turret bottom on the chassis making everything off centre. Moving the pin would avoid this. Using a new hole means the turret is fine when in the forward position. I've gone with drilling new holes at present.

T-34/85


The current fleet with T-54 and Egyptian Sherman with AMX-13 turret lurking in the background. I need to tackle the T-54 / 55 and produce a Centurion. Yes the Egyptians had around 30 Mk 1 to 3 Centurions deployed in Sinai which were captured by the Israelis without firing a shot.



4 comments:

  1. Excellent work. I hadn't realised you had so much for the AIW. Will you be using CD/ToB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm looking at using Megablitz. Although that said, the numbers of tanks means I could use a 1 vehicle = 1 company.
    The above tanks represents the tanks for 4 infantry divisions (less one tank). It appears they had a battalion of tanks for each brigade plus a divisional tank battalion. That gives 12x T-34, 2x JS-3, 1 each Sherman and Centurion.
    The T-54 / 55 were concentrated in the armoured division and Shazli force.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a bit of modelling modifications you have to do there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,
    The JS-3 has been the most worked on I think. The original model is quite poor. Even after a lot of work it wasn't quite right, but I think adding to the turret has made it acceptable.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

New (old) *secret* project...

To elaborate on the somewhat confusing title......I have been busy with a *new* project; that is an *old* project but with a new twist.........