Monday 29 May 2023

Black dog instead of black undercoat.......

Best laid plans for the long bank holiday weekend did not, alas, survive contact with reality.....

I set myself a realistic goal, but despite taking Friday off, was unable to apply myself until very late in the day, and then it was forcing myself to do something......anything in fact.

I set to cleaning up more Spencer Smith plastics for Waldow; a happy discovery was that I had already tackled the cavalry. For the uninitiated, cleaning up these figures involves removing various degrees of flash and mould line running right around the figure. Some have access plastic (horses mostly) where the moulds were worn. This has to be done with a fresh scalpel blade; when you start getting "furring" or resistance it's time to change the blade. Fortunately, having worked in the medical profession, I acquired a lot of sterile expired scalpel blades and some disposable scalpels which I have been using over the years. I have lots of blades that are still perfectly serviceable after use, just not on the plastics.

It is laborious, tedious and unrewarding work. Despite wanting to crack on with it, I found myself struggling due to my mood. Come Saturday, I awoke with fresh enthusiasm and with the aid of podcasts, worked through to the point where they were cleaned, casting holes filled and flagpoles glued in place. Only two Grenadier drummers and four light infantry required head swaps.

My plan was to put on a coat of varnish to seal them before undercoating, which I managed. Unfortunately, while Saturday had been ideal weather, Sunday was cloudy and windy so no black spray.......

I still thought I'd manage to do something else, but the enthusiasm and positive mindset completely evaporated and I've found myself fighting off depressive thoughts - Churchill's Black Dog.  It's been a while since I've been so visited. I suspect it's because work has been so busy, not helped by someone recently retiring at two years earlier than I will be able to!

So I plod along dreaming of retirement or even a modest lottery win!

8 comments:

  1. Not easy I know, but keep your chin up if you can. The dog will bugger off eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is also prone to the occasional visit from the dreaded ‘black dog’ I have some idea how you feel. Although I am retired and no longer have work to stress me, my ongoing health problems can sometimes get me down. Recently I finished work on the latest Portable Wargame Compendium … and it’s left me feeling a bit listless and lacking motivation.

    Experience of previous visits means that I know that this feeling will pass … and will pass faster if I don’t try to fight it. This might sound self-indulgent but it works. I find it difficult not to fight it, but when I’ve done this in the past, the ‘black dog’ has been my companion for longer.

    I hope that you feel better soon.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps. I have not felt this bad for a while. It was certainly much worse when I was younger.
    I think it's due to a combination of weather, work and lack of free time. If I can make use of time off such as long bank holidays, I feel much better. If I feel I have "wasted" the time, it tends to impact me.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil, hang in there! If motivation is lacking to push ahead with hobby tasks, perhaps it is better to wait until these dark clouds pass and inspiration returns? Tackle something else for now.
    Forcing yourself into accomplishing hobby tasks seems more like work than fun. Wargaming ought not prompt dread and regret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jonathan. Having been here before, I find occupying my mind helps; the hard part is starting!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Neil, it's good that we have this forum to talk about this stuff and I'm sure it helps to do so. I hope you are back on form soon. I know that when those figures eventually get painted, they will look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I hesitated about posting but I think it's important to be open as it's something that a lot of people suffer from the condition.
      Neil

      Delete
    2. Sharing is good for every one!

      Delete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...