Sunday 4 June 2023

Back in the black.....

After a short working week, back to the weekend workbench.....

Mood has improved, probably due to an improvement in the weather (I don't know if anyone else finds themselves impacted by grey cloudy skies or miserable weather, I seem to be more and more as I get older....), although the early part of the week I could tell I was really down and it was a bit of a struggle to concentrate or get motivated for work. My sincere thanks to those who commented with messages of support.

This weekend was in danger of slipping away. My intention was to undercoat the army of Waldow. I had bought the only can of black I could find which was for BBQs and was "heat resistant" . Nothing indicated it shouldn't be used on plastic, but not wishing to risk matters, I dug out some spare, partly broken Spencer Smith figures to test it on. By the time I had got organised, a breeze had got up. I tested the figures but decided to wait. No adverse effects and while I'd given up hope for the day, suddenly I noticed the wind had dropped. So late in the day, they were sprayed and finished off where the spray missed in the evening.


So, I now have two armies undercoated and waiting for paint. Which means I feel like I am rapidly approaching a conclusion or end point with the project. There are two small armies to do and I have decided Estavia needs a small expansion (4 line, 1 grenadier, 1 cavalry and 1 LI). To bolster the smaller armies, if they need to fight alone, I have been toying with creating some Imperial militia (4 line) and some civilian militia / rebels (the game allows for rebel provinces). Once those are done, then I only envisage further expansion as a result of a campaign (conquering provinces to gain extra resources for recruitment).

Of course there's still the small matter of terrain; lots of card houses and castles to build, trees to stick together or rejuvenate (Merit and Britains) and my old step hills to find and possibly repaint as well as all the other stuff like rivers and fortifications (have some old Bellona and new Amera vac-form plastic) and lets not mention the river craft / naval possible expansion........

3 comments:

  1. It’s great to read that you are feeling far more positive and are making progress on your latest project.

    I also seem to suffer from SAD. Long spells of grey overcast skies has a depressing effect on me … and it has got worse as I have got older.

    Good luck with your project,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic blog Neil, love the Spencer Smiths. You have inspired me to make some more units. Loads of 18th century eye candy.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats. Some more Gascon "Adventureur" c...