Saturday 30 March 2024

Secret project revealed!

So initial experiments have worked out quite well, so I can reveal what I have been up to the last few weeks......

Italian Wars using 30mm Zinnfiguren flats.......WTF!

Completely left field distraction; so how did I get here.....

I have been interested in the Italian Wars for years; memories of Peter Gilder's armies in early MW magazine, playing Machiavelli, etc all contributed. Many years ago, my mate Pete Foggin gave me some 15mm he had designed and cast - not sure if they were ever available commercially. I started adding and adding, made a start on DBA sized armies French and Milanese which I never quite finished and then changed focus to Impetus sized bases and Maximillian rules which are a DBA derivative but use armies of 23-30 elements, so double initial plans....

I have toyed with restarting, even trying to prune the unpainted horde to use the better figures such as Vexillia, but it has been a long time since I painted 15mm or worse, cleaned them up...

Then, bad week at work, needed some cheering up. Saw some cheap lots of flats on eBay. I had resisted previously, although very tempted by the SYW Zinnfiguren available; always drawn to them, the elegant look......several bloggers have indulged. Manfully I had not let myself be swayed. Looking at the flats, they had lots of knights / Gensdarmes which looked lovely with the plumes.....but could I paint them? Then....click! Oh WTF have I done!

So, there I was having bought lots of medieval / renaissance Zinnfiguren wondering not only whether I could paint them, but what I was going to do with them! I happened to glance at the bookshelves where a copy of DBA 3 sat. Hmm, it now goes up to the Italian Wars.....hmm.....Machiavelli campaign using DBA sized armies....hmm....this way it could be manageable and not grow like the 15mm version has. What about the painting? Would Contrast paints work?

So sorting through the figures, I worked out there was enough for Imperial German, some Spaniards, these could be French and these Italians....oh there's a Burgundian army....this could work!

So I started wit the French; there were a lot of "active" knights which would be just right for Gensdarmes d'Ordinance.....lets start humbler......Gascon crossbows:



The above are pure Contrast paints and Speed Paints metallics. Then it was Army Painter ink wash as a pin-wash, followed by selective highlighting with acyllics:



Looking good, lets add some more crossbow and Gensdarmes:





Went to town on the Gensdarmes, oil wipe (although water based oil paint!) followed by ink wash, pin-wash of AP ink, highlighting and tidy up, So far we have:

9x Gascon crossbow



7x Picard pike (Horde)


3x 3 Gensdarmes






To finish have another couple of elements of Gensdarmes, various general figures (for DBA RRR), 2x artillery, an element of mounted crossbow. All undercoated and ready to paint. To finish the French I have some cavalry (archers), Swiss, Landesknechts some converted Stradiots and probably need to add more |Picards. All but the Swiss and Germans are cleaned up awaiting primer.

The plan is to do Imperial, Spanish and Italians - a mix of Venetian, Papal and generic Italian troop types. Reinforcements have been sourced from the UK and Germany, and have just bought some Turkish looking cavalry.......

There is certainly a Burgundian army in there and possibly Swiss, Peasant Revolt plus more Landesknechts.....

So far, they have turned out quite nice and are quick to paint with the Contrast / Speed paints doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Washes and highlights lift them into the next league IMHO.

Of course, I have found buying flats is as addictive as normal figures.......if not more so!

22 comments:

  1. Those have come out really well. Enjoyed seeing them at the VWC today. I keep getting twitchy to try flats but so far am resisting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'd urge you to resist if you can, otherwise you will find it's irresistibly addictive........☺
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Lovely figures and painting Neil. I'm not surprised that you'd get addicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJT. There's an amazing amount of flats available; some of the animation and detail is incredible.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work on the new, secret Italian Wars Flats project is anything but flat. Figures look great! If you need inspiration, consider joining into a remote game. Fornovo is up next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I suspect remote gaming will need to wait on retirement as free time is so limited by working!
      Fornovo is a difficult one for the Italians to win if all the historical issues are in play.
      Neil

      Delete
    2. It’s going to be a challenge to be an Italian.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work on your flats, they have turned out really well, Must admit I would never have guessed that this would be your secret project but it is a very interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie, me neither! It certainly wasn't planned!
      I have long thought flats have something about them, an elegance you don't see in most normal wargames figures. Spencer Smiths have a hint, as do RSM and some of the newer 28/30mm like Cran Tara, but flats have something more. Although of course, only from the side (although interestingly some are frontal or 3/4 views like Peter Dennis' paperboys).
      Neil

      Delete
  6. I’ve never tried painting or using flats but your figures show just how magnificent they can be! A wonderful collection and a worthy new project.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I've always been daunted at the thought of painting flats; highlighting from a single light source and blending in oils and all that sort of thing. There are some masterpieces out there! Oddly, a lot of the factory paints are quite crude and basic; amateur attempts vary from magnificent to awful from what I've seen!
      My experiments are workmanlike, using techniques I've acquired over the years, but aimed at getting an acceptable result for minimum effort.
      I was very influenced by Christian Rogge and Phil Steele who use flats for contemporary wargames, Phil having acquired the historical collections of Phil Barker, Tony Bath and some of Deryck Guyler:

      https://crogges7ywarmies.blogspot.com/search/label/Painting%20My%20SYW%20Armies

      https://soawargamesteam.blogspot.com/search/label/Flats

      Neil

      Delete
  7. Sorry I missed this last night Neil but I was engrossed in dettol, hot water and soft brush cleaning excessive paint of 50 Spencer smith connoisseur plastic figures and I thought yesterday was Friday doh!, those flats are very nice. Did you buy them from Alex, I was very tempted to go down the TYW route but resitted.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Willz, thanks. I did wonder where you were - that's Bank holidays for you and now the clocks have gone forward!
    I try to put off my Dettol sessions, the smell lingers too much!
    I did get some from Alex; he mixed up Renaissance and TYW and medievals. Those pictured were all from his lots bar the crossbowmen in soft hats. I've been buying others from Germany to fill the gaps. I may have accidentally bought some SYW....☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid madness Neil…
    You have an excellent wargames butterfly…
    The figures have painted up really well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Aly, it has certainly flapped its wings furiously! ☺
    I'm still not sure how it happened exactly.......
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff, these are lovely figures and you've made a beautiful job of them! DBA style armies seems a good idea, to try them out before the inevitable megalomania (in a good way) sets in..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. TBH, with the Contrast paints they paint themselves (see first pictures) as they work with the fine inscribed details. I'm trying to avoid the megalomaniac impulses! That said, the French have lots of choices to add as options the element count is already at 18 with either 3 Swiss or 4 Landesknechts (were never used together). More crossbow and Picard pike would take them up to 24 elements easily.
      Neil

      Delete
  12. What? Flats? A man after my own heart.
    Though these flats are way more stylish and angular, and your painting is way above my simple coloring. Those are very nice. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stew, ALL the cool kids are doing flats! ☺

    https://ilkleyoldschool.blogspot.com/
    https://tonystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/search/label/2D%20SYW

    Add in the Peter Dennis Paperboys and the Wofun and your Wooden Wars and it's a 2D revival!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a surprise, Neil, but it's good to see flats making something of a comeback. And it's easy to understand why when you see how good you've made them look. Very nice.

    Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, it was something of a surprise for me too! I had no rational reason for buying them, none whatsoever. I have enough 15mm Italian Wars figures to paint. I managed to resist SYW as I have 25/28mm armies besides the SK Imagi- Nations. Yet.....the lure was too great! If you fall for flats you really do!
      My next concern was painting them, but Contrast paints, ink washes and acrylic highlights and touching up seems to work.
      Neil

      Delete

Fornovocating

Over at Jonathan's blog https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/ he has been playing remote games of Fornovo, based on the new scen...