Sunday 18 August 2024

"Not more b****y Swiss!" Or what I did this weekend that I planned to do last weekend....

Last weekend ended up a bit of a wash out hobby wise, despite the visit to Britcon.....

I had planned to do some cleaning up, either SK SSM or more Zinnfiguren, but in the end was hit by listlessness and apathy. All I could manage was a sort out of recent purchases from Germany.

Among them, were some actually labelled as Swiss but without pictures or even line drawings. I had obtained some other figures from the editor, so took a chance at ordering unseen. I was pleasantly surprised to discover I already had used some of the figures as Swiss from random eBay lots. Only 4 did not quite fit as they were labelled as early, but will fit into a Burgundian army. While many were "old friends" having painted examples previously, many more were new to me.

So this weekend, I determined to do something, so worked my way through another 47 Swiss cleaning and straightening. I thought it may be useful for those following the blog and /or this project to see Zinnfiguren in their natural state. I am still in awe of the beauty of the engraving.

The array patiently awaiting primer - sadly a bit windy today


Some close ups - attacking pike


Command



Some aggressive looking Zweihander


Pike - some familiar faces and some new - I particularly like that some are wearing older helmets


I should have enough Swiss so need to turn my attention to the "Black Band" Landesknechts in French service, as well as more Gensdarmes and various bits.

18 comments:

  1. Nice to see the flats in their unpainted state as you say you can really see the work that goes into the engraving of them, lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I'm amazed that these have been engraved into slate and then matched to another slate with the rear view! What's more, a lot date from the 1920s / 1930s or earlier.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Seeing these figures in their natural and raw state, I am amazed at the work you do to bring them to life. I reckon lethargy is reaching near pandemic proportions on hobby fronts everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, thank you but I just bring out what's already there. The Contrast paint and AP washes do the heavy lifting; the rest is me daubing highlights and corrections to make them pop.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. These figures are as attractive in metal as they are with paint on them…
    And as you have said … The fact that they were engraved in slate is all the more impressive…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The other impressive aspect is the dynamism of the animation and posing which the flats achieve.
      Neil

      Delete
  5. Gosh, they are astonishing. I hadn't realised they had so much raised detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing isn't it Martin? Of course, they vary and some are quite crude with very slight detail showing. The best engravers manage quite extraordinary details.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. meh.. I guess they're alright.

    kidding, they are nicely detailed. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so good, the detail is excellent. And I know they're flat but the proportions are so much more realistic than many fully round wargame figures. I just wish I could paint the darned things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, I keep wondering what they would look like if made fully round. I'm sure in these days of technology, it would be possible to scan and then "inflate" these figures. Perhaps they would loose something in the transition.
      As to painting, think washes and small amounts with good flow quality. I was genuinely surprised at how mine turned out.
      Neil

      Delete
  9. Great looking classic flats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking figures Neil.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe of your collection of flats. I'm especially intrigued by your pikemen. What are you using for the pikes themselves? Can't wait to see how you paint these up.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eric,
    The pikes are cast as part of the figure; they require particular care when cleaning up as they bend easily. They do take a certain amount of bending but can snap at the hand if not careful.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Painting progress report

With the success of my new painting technique of Contrast paint, AP wash and highlights in acrylic on flats, I thought I'd try on fully ...