Thursday 29 August 2024

Sitrep - progress report or a tale of two model kits

Normally, I don't review products on my blog, but I will make an exception for a couple of 1:72 kits I have been working on. 

The whole operational project for the Western Desert is part nostalgia, part recent inspiration. The recent part was the sadly lamented Dancing Cake Tin blog: James seems to have had problems with his blog, started a replacement then abandoned blogging. Anyway, he embarked on WW2 Megablitz forces, including Western Desert:

https://thedancingcaketin.blogspot.com/search/label/Megablitz

The nostalgia part relates to my very earliest wargaming; I started as a modeller with 1:35 and 1:32 kits, progressing to the 1:76 and 1:72 kits by Airfix, Matchbox, Hasegawa et al. Then I discovered you could play games with them.......

I saw an advert for a paperback and persuaded my mother to buy me a copy.....

https://toomuchlead.blogspot.com/2016/12/retro-corner-operation-warboard.html

The advert had a picture of the Airfix 20mm DAK machine gunner running with ammo, as here:

https://vintagewargaming.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-warboard.html

The rules were generic but more geared towards late WW2 and indeed most of my models were of that ilk. IIRC there was vague mention of "desert rules". It was also probably my first encounter with reference to Roco Minitanks. There was some seed planted with that advert.....

Then there was John Sandars and his fabulous scratch builds:

https://wargamingmiscellanybackup.wordpress.com/category/john-sandars/

https://vintagewargaming.blogspot.com/2009/04/john-sandars.html

And perhaps more importantly, the Airfix Guides:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airfix-Magazine-Guide-20-magazine/dp/0850592356

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIRFIX-MAGAZINE-No-12-AFRIKA-KORPS/dp/B005EFXKRG

(I'm shocked at the prices charged!)

I remember wanting to do something desert war related, but as can be seen from the DAK guide and John Sanders, that would have meant scratch building a lot of the models; no doubt had I discovered Roco Minitanks it may have been different, but the Axis were thin on the ground apart from tanks - Panzer 2 and 3 (Matchbox) and Panzer 4 (Airfix).

Other temptations came with the wonderfully eccentric Atlantic 20mm plastic soldiers. I remember vividly seeing a box of their Indian Brigade in Toytub in Edinburgh with the wonderful box art:

https://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=463

Instead, I came away with their French - the US figures in blue plastic as I had rationalized I had no comparable desert figures......

Now, as an adult, I have been able to indulge this long neglected theatre and have some of those very Indian figures.....

So, to the reviews. A few years ago there was a rush of quick build 1:72 kits appear on the market. I bought lots of them. The alternatives were normal models with numerous parts, rubber tracks or even individual track links.....

Among them were various kits for the desert. The first is the Plastic Soldier Company Stuart I "Honey". I was aware there are problems with this kit, just not how bad it is....

The fit of parts is poor, especially the track units to the hull. Even with much cutting and filing, I found there was still a significant gap. I've read it was due to the 1:72 kit being a "blown up" version of the 1:100 version. Certainly, the thickness and poor details on some parts would support this. In addition, the plastic was "odd" with a softness to it. Add to this the poor instructions. Two or three variants are possible, indeed there are enough parts to make three models each of two versions, as long as you are prepared to scratch build some components. The normal exploded instructions are supposedly colour coded. I cut out the suggested hull only to find it didn't match the tracks with sand shields! In the end I simply worked out what parts were needed, but resorted to the Bradford plans for guidance. Simply put, it was a pig of a build. I also scratched the MG brackets as the supplied part is poor. The replacement MGs are not yet affixed.


Next was the S-Models Crusader I or II, two models per box. What a contrast! The parts fit was excellent, sand shields were thin and in scale. I even masochistically added the etched brass PE  and small detail parts! If I have a criticism, the exploded diagrams are not always clear where things go or which way up they should be. The hatch is fixed; I opened this on the first model cutting carefully and then adding shims from the plastic sprue number plate. This added considerably to the build time. The others flew together, even with the detail parts (superglue but no swearing - that was reserved for the clutter and clumsiness on my part...).


I have also washed and PVA primed some Revell 8th Army as a test for Contrast paints. I'm worried they will show up the flash I couldn't remove.......


Before any of the above, I also cleaned up what I hope is the last of the Swiss flats. They have been waiting for decent weather to get primed and added to the rest......



12 comments:

  1. "The nostalgia part relates to my very earliest wargaming; I started as a modeller with 1:35 and 1:32 kits, progressing to the 1:76 and 1:72 kits by Airfix, Matchbox, Hasegawa et al. Then I discovered you could play games with them......."
    --My story EXACTLY!

    Is a coating of diluted PVA glue still recommended for "sealing" soft plastic figures before painting? I figured more modern primers would do the job after a proper cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us fall into that category Jonathan.
    Normally when younger we also "played" with toy soldiers in various rudimentary wargames. Sometimes, called the "Airfix generation" in the UK at least.
    Well I have coated them in diluted PVA. On my Spencer Smiths I use a coat of acrylic varnish before spray primer. You can get plastic primers which bind better I understand.
    The main issue is releasing the mould release chemicals. I scrub with an old toothbrush in hot water and detergent. A friend of mine (now sadly deceased) who used lots of plastics used bicarbonate of soda; he was an optometrist and it's used to remove grease from lenses in the trade.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great nostalgia in this post and also a good review of some products new to me. I saw my friends older brother and his mate wargame with airfix figures and models, the Russian front they did, and I was hooked, I never knew you could use the model tanks etc in a game, happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donnie,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the nostalgia and being alerted to products you were unaware of.
    One of the few benefits of getting older is being able to do the things you wanted when you were younger!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never much of a modeller. So my early forays into WWII wargaming involved use of those Airfix soft plastic Centurions and Pattons! It was like I was recreating the old Battle of the Bulge film and not the actual war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      Those Airfix soft plastics were an eclectic mix as I recall; as well as duplicating kits they made, there were others like the Patton and FV432 unavailable at that time elsewhere.
      I bought some for a nephew but never had anything but the odd one or two myself.
      Neil

      Delete
  6. I think many of us of a certain age have come a similar route. I was a modeller before I was a wargamers too, and I still have a vague hankering to go back to those simple days of "Battle" and Airfix figures and vehicles. 15mm scratches that particular itch for me, but the 20mm stuff is still lovely to look at. The Revell 8th Army set is fabulous, I had a lot of them for my 20mm Megablitz stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin,
      Like many of my projects, I am inspired by some army in a particular scale and style, initially try to replicate it in another, before circling back to the original!
      SYW - inspired by Charles Grant as well as Phil Robinson's Hinchliffe in an early MW, I naturally went for 15mm.....
      Cost was a consideration - before buying some SSM and not being impressed - then 25mm Hinchliffe. ECW was a similar story.
      At the time I initially started looking at the desert, 15mm was the new thing, 20mm were expensive and may kits unavailable. It was logical to go for 15mm. As a CD player, I needed lots of kit, so bought but didn't paint. I drooled over Cromwell Combat Ready 1:76 and AB figures but was committed already. Normandy beckoned and I slipped into 20mm.
      I would still like to make use of the 15mm, perhaps as a "multi-scale" force that can be platoons, companies or battalions as the whim takes me.
      Neil

      Delete
  7. A great post Neil…
    I was only just talking about John Sandars the other day… Ive been looking through some old Airfix magazines… His articles are just as delightful today as the were when they were first published .
    Has this all lead to temptation…. Of course it has 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. It's quite tragic he died so young. His models are simply amazing. I remember seeing an article in Military Modelling where he had scratchbuilt a 1:32 Light MkIV IIRC and converted figures from the Airfix 1:32 plastics, including an Italian prisoner in sun hat (from a Britain's Royal Marine I think). It was titled *POLITICALLY INCORRECT WARNING* "Look Sarge, there's a Jerry among those wops..."
      His smaller scale stuff was equally impressive, using card, balsa, buttons and components of available Airfix and Roco Minitanks parts.....
      His rules looked incredibly complex; IIRC he played solo and the units were small representative scales.
      I know they were on show before being returned to his family; I wonder whatever happened to them?
      As to temptation; you admitted buying some 15mm British at Britcon, so we have an inkling of what's coming next.....☺
      Neil

      Delete
  8. It's nice when we're a grown up and can get the things we wanted as kids. 😁
    Though I'll never have a car that can turn into a plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew,
      You could buy a car AND a plane......just saying! ☺
      You are right, it's nice to relive an unfulfilled youth; shame the actual youth and energy don't come with it!
      Neil

      Delete

Painting progress report

With the success of my new painting technique of Contrast paint, AP wash and highlights in acrylic on flats, I thought I'd try on fully ...