Sunday 17 January 2021

Long time no speak? So what's been happening?

I cannot believe my last post was in November!

Rather than let the blog's progress fall by the wayside, I thought it opportune to post something on my own blog.

Throughout the pandemic I have been "working from home"; as such I regard myself as more fortunate than many who have lost their jobs. The opportunity for furlough has not been available, which is a mixed blessing.  The upside is financial certainty, but it's with a certain amount of envy that I see the amount of time available for painting that some people have reported! However, I'm aware that being on furlough is not a choice and carries a lot of uncertainty. For me, it has felt like I have never been as busy, which saps motivation at weekend's. 

I had hoped to use the Christmas break to get some painting done, but alas, it was not to be. A combination of post work lethargy, illness and the toll of lockdown put paid to that. I still have not shook off whatever cold/ flu bug I managed to pick up (despite rarely venturing outside).

All I managed to do was tackle some more Arab-Israeli 1/87. I converted / scratched / bodged 2x M52 SPGs for the Jordanian armoured brigades. But, despite trying to convince myself, I wasn't happy with them. I could live with them being slightly too tall in the turret but it wasn't long enough. Looking at what bits I had, I set to reluctantly extended the turret. In the end they turned out OK but are unlikely to win any prizes for modelling. I still kick myself for not picking up some resin versions I saw on eBay. At the time, the cost, with shipping from the USA was prohibitive and I convinced myself to do things on the cheap and maybe use the under scale Eko / Arii (and others) version, but it's more like 1/100 and looks too small.

For reasons best known to myself, I have decided to create more M50 and M51 upgunned Shermans; I had 2x diecast 47 degree hull M4 so turned them into one of each. They have come out OK; I also added the ring and haversacks around the rear turrets of the previously done M50s. Emboldened by this, I'm contemplating another 47 degree M51 and an M4a1 M50 with the rounded cast hull. I still have 3x M1 Super Sherman with 76mm gun to convert in addition. I invested in the Tom Gammon "Israeli Shermans" reprint which is well worth the high price.

Pictures when the light improves.


3 comments:

  1. Look forward to the pictures.
    I'm sure we'll get out of this eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone in the Lockdown Christmas slowdown. The short winter days, the cold, lack of good light. The Covid dragging on, uncertainty etc. all work against hobby time and energy. Alan Gruber Duchy of Tradgardland blog had / has the same situation with many similar comments on his blog from others about the state of their hobby mojo. I am also working from home during Lockdown so not commuting to work - you think it would give you more time! Time spent on screen for work puts you off the same for hobby screen time.
    Mojo comes and goes. It will return ...
    Just read Tintin the Broken Ear based on the Gran 'Chapo' War as it calls it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps for the morale support.
    I must admit I don't miss the commute; I also am grateful to be in the position to be in stable employment unlike so many people.
    Fingers crossed only 9 years until retirement!

    ReplyDelete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...