Tuesday 20 July 2021

Five Games That Made Me The Gamer I Am Today

 One that's making the rounds - from social media (which I don't do) to blogs - although some are cheating by including six!

Thought I'd have a crack so that I've posted something in the last month....

DBA

Now in it's 3rd edition and all grown up! It's what brought me back to Ancients; a chance discovery of the slim first incarnation.



Command Decision (or CD)

Played endlessly along with the modern version Combined Arms. Separation of morale and training is what made them for me. Really good troops fought better...Research books are great references whatever rules you play. Frank Chadwick 's design notes are worth reading...



Volley & Bayonet (or VnB)

A chance discovery in Caliver's catalogue purchased unseen and without prior knowledge. Taken aback by the gaudy cover but once read completely hooked, again read FC's design notes to see how you design a set of rules using a properly thought out set of parameters. Had been searching for just such a set and in an act of synchronicity came along at just the right time to launch me on my Soldier King project........I often reread them to keep the enthusiasm going.....



Megablitz

Heard about them and was intrigued. Bought from the late Duncan M at Partisan many years ago. Initial reaction was not great but I was still intrigued by the possibilities of a whole Panzer Division in a box file.......It was only later that I really appreciated the subtleties within the rules and their true purpose. What clinched it was the sudden realisation that I could create the ENTIRE armies of the Six Days War.....and I mean ENTIRE....I think they appeal to the megalomaniac in me.....

What I've come to realise is they make you think out of the box....that is conventional rules that get hung up on the frontal armour of Tiger tanks...



Commands and Colors (or C&C)

Initially dismissed these without any good reason. I think it was when my thoughts turned to hexes that I looked at them again combined with Tim Gow's battle reports. I think it was Martin Rapier who remarked that despite what looks like a random card generated game with apparently crude mechanisms, it contains hidden subtleties and produces games that simulate ancient battles better than more elaborate and complex sets.......It also seems to give the sort of nail biting can go either way sort of game I haven't seen since Fire and Fury......



I could pick many more, not only the aforementioned Fire and Fury but To the Strongest, Maximillian (DBA for the Italian Wars), HOTT, Great Rail Wars and Future Warriors Killzone by Grenadier.....All have and still are responsible for my adding to the lead and plastic mountain. I've just recently bought For Whom the Dice Rolls and Arriba Espana /PW for the SCW and Furioso for Italian Wars......but the above represent points where my conventional thinking changed from what I'd been wedded to before....

4 comments:

  1. Excellent choices. V&B, Megablitz and C&C completely changed my outlook too.
    I'd go as far to say that I wouldn't be doing horse & musket at all if not for V&B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course now I find it difficult to look at non-operational rules or those not designed for "battles"......
    I'm looking forward to Frank Chadwick 's new set if and when they ever see the light of day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can discern a lot on your preferences, gaming philosophy, and style of play by the choices you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm intrigued.....😁
    "Game" over "simulation" but not at the expense of achieving a " historically plausible " result?
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

New (old) *secret* project...

To elaborate on the somewhat confusing title......I have been busy with a *new* project; that is an *old* project but with a new twist.........