Saturday 23 April 2022

Making mountains

 But not out of molehills!

As a break from painting, I decided to go with the mojo and attempt to make a mountain.

I had been mulling over creating some mountain pieces as a sort of 3d scenic backdrop. The Soldier King map has some squares / boxes  which feature a natural defence bonus which are situated in a mountain pass. I wanted to suggest something impassable that normal wargames hill methods were unlikely to convey. I could have deemed the board edges impassable, but wanted something tangible and more 3d than a flat backdrop.

There are other uses; I have an unpainted collection for WW2 Yugoslavia and mountain passes feature in many historical battles, such as Thermopolae.

I had contemplated something along the lines of the Tremorden Reddering method, but didn't need the steps for figures to stand on:

https://bobscolonialwargaming.blogspot.com/2009/08/hills-and-mountains.html

So I set to with a vague plan. Like most such projects, it was trial and error with some impractical ideas abandoned almost immediately. I had an idea of the dimensions and initially planned a flat sided series of three mountain pieces joined together. Experimentation revealed I could create something with sloping sides......



Here are the trial efforts having just received a first layer of brown paper. The shapes are just cardboard packaging (folding book wrappers are very useful with a built-in fold) cut to shape and bodged together with masking tape. I have been stockpiling materials and brown packaging paper for just such a purpose. 100% recycled mountains! They have not come out too bad and with a bit more work should be passable (inadvertent pun!)

4 comments:

  1. A very interesting variation of 2.5D mountains. They are great for defining areas that ordinary military units cannot pass through without taking up huge amounts of tabletop space.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob.
    I've added another 5 in various permutations which should be enough for my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Very 'imagi-nation'. Don't forget a little cap of snow on each peak..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks David.
    I was planning on snow capping the taller peaks. I suspect the rest will be greys and brown (I did get sidetracked googling perspective in mountains - make the further away lighter with hints of blues..).
    In the "Lohwind map" for SK he names all the mountains and rivers.....

    ReplyDelete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...