Tuesday 11 April 2023

Bern baby Bern!

My apologies for the title of this post; it has been swirling around my head since starting the army. I was thinking more of music than civil rights when it popped into my head. However, judging by the psychedelic flags they have ended up with, I may have been thinking 1960s rather than 1970s disco!

They ended up as improvised on the spot when I realised I would need a third colour in the border; unfortunately, one had already been painted so it was too late to go back an alter it to merge with the others. I was working from what I thought was "the plan" for flag patterns when after drawing and painting them, found another version in a notebook.......always check all your sources! Even for imaginary armies! I have rationalised it as another earlier pattern. It would have allowed just two colours to be used and would have tied them together. Sigh! Never mind. There was no way I was going back to redo them; such things happen.

The flags are based on the heraldry. Parti per pale Orange tawny and Azure, a shield Or charged with a griffon Sable.

The Duke and his brother, the Erzfurst (who appears in his natural state in the page on the Soldier King campaign).


The army arrayed and the infantry manoeuvring to show off their flags.



And finally, just for Jonathan, a picture of the sketches for the next Electoral contingent, the Prince Bishopric of Cleve showing ideas for uniforms and flags.



8 comments:

  1. More fine additions, here. Thanks for including a page from your sketchbook.

    Also thanks for sticking Disco Inferno into my head this morning. I thought those days long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The earworm comes free! ☺
    I should probably explain on the sketch that the cuirassier changed from blue to buff, but the blue faced white will be the colours for the drummer as per a note in a notebook preceding this sketch..
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to painted finish you have on the figures. Your armies for the soldier king campaign are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peter. My first Spencer Smiths were just block colours and looked........uninspiring! Sometime after that, I switched to a black undercoat and realised that by leaving some black between the areas, it would make them "pop". Looking in the Wargame at Charles Grant's figures, his figures all appeared to be black lined between areas. I also noticed how his gaiter buttons stood out in the B&W photos. Putting it altogether, the black between areas allows for simple block colours; I then add little touches which bring out some of the very fine detail - belts, a white line above the black gaiters for stockings, lace at cuffs for officers and brass gaiter buttons. Topped with a full gloss acrylic varnish for an unfashionable shiney OS look.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking figures and flags. Their your figures do you can do anything you want with the flags. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stew, thanks. Yes, there's no right or wrong when you are inventing something that never existed, I'm just annoyed I had forgotten about my other sketch for the flag patterns; that said, I do quite like how they turned out, it's just a pity I didn't include yellow in the border of the first.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely flags, orange is my favorite color. I shall add this blog to my list to follow. So much fun in these types of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I was influenced by the Dutch Guards of William III; at different stages they had other uniform colours before I settled on this.
    I've reciprocated with your blog (once I worked out how to do it!); "Imagineerers" have to stick together!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Fornovocating

Over at Jonathan's blog https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/ he has been playing remote games of Fornovo, based on the new scen...