Sunday 3 March 2024

Hammerhead 2024

Yesterday I went along to Hammerhead - first show of 2024. I think my last visit had been pre-pandemic when they made use of two halls on the site. They now hold it in the same venue as Partizan which is a sort of large shed.

TBH I only went to meet up with a friend of mine from up north, Shaun Condren; had it been just me I expect I wouldn't have bothered. I was a bit drained from work and had nothing I particularly wanted to buy or see. This may have influenced my experience somewhat.

I got there about 10:45 and it was heaving! I'm not a fan of crowds.....

I had just met up with Shaun when I bumped into Martin Rapier briefly (https://tgamesweplay.blogspot.com)

Later I (almost literally) bumped into Colin Ashton (https://www.carryingsonupthedale.com/) from the VWC. Other VWC notary Phil Olley (https://philswarcabinet.blogspot.com/) was about, but like Aly Morrison (https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/) was always deep in conversation when I spotted them, so I failed to say hello.

Shaun's friend Graham and his son Jake joined us and we split up for a look around.

Hammerhead is billed as a "participation" show with all the games available for punters to join in. Sadly I'm not a natural joiner-in, but none of the games seemed to be "touting" for business; they were either fully occupied and engaged or empty with perhaps one or two people standing around chatting. 

My only interaction was when I bent to look at some figures to identify them, but the person concerned didn't try to get me to play (he was the only one there and the games seemed unplayed). There was one empty table - presumably unbooked or a no-show. 

Several of the games were to the same standards as "demonstration" games seen at other shows. Only one was in full swing, but I suspect it featured the same people as at other shows where similar games are always fully occupied. They cynic in me did wonder if some "demo" games had snuck in as participation - although in theory available for play, didn't seem to have crowds of people - it's easy to deter would be punters or if I'm more charitable, is it because these games were "traditional" wargames as oppose to the often small and unique participation games? As a general rule, with a few exceptions, the smaller games seemed busier.

As it was very busy and some of the games were too crowded to get close to, I was limited in the pictures I took. Being brutally honest, my mood was such after a while I got bored and I concentrated on those that stood out - this isn't always apparent in the photos. There was a lack of signage so I had to try and match the games to the handout - I apologise to anyone I have miscredited.

Peter Dennis Paperboys "a walk in the woods" - looked to be F&I War - very effective paper trees



A Conquistador game - Blessed by the Gods (?) very nice pyramid and ships



Cloudships of Mars reloaded - a development of Frank Chadwick's 1889 ideas



A pirate (?) v natives(?) game - possibly Dutch Courage - Teddy bear fur terrain? and nice ships (no I don't know why one had sunk or what the giant hamster wheel was about)



Just follow the Rhynes BCW - could have passed for a Sealion game until you spot the BUF symbols - very big table couldn't get it all in due to players being fully engaged



Manouvre Group? 1/144 Soviet tanks - it looked better in the flesh than the pictures


Mighty Empires ??? Ancients with what appeared to be 3d printed samples at side of table - no idea if the miniatures were 3d printed looked like Macedonians, Indians and Persian /Assyrians? It stood out due to the very simple terrain cloth and miniatures - again looked better in the flesh


Pegasus Bridge - demo game in disguise? At least it had a sign!


A very intriguing Tin-Tin style game Blue Island Broken Unicorn's Treasure - the table had two sides with one divided into two, each with a little tableau - I assume they were linked as part of one adventure but as it was very busy it was difficult to ascertain more. I had to take a picture of the clever torpedo bomber (in SCW markings) and submarine with a glass shelf separating above and below surface- very ingenious! The hand belongs to a well know wargames magazine editor who was taking pictures. Just prior to this photo, the submarine had become detached and was lying on the seabed. As I got close to take a pic, the said editor turned to me and said "I've broken it!" It was suspended from the glass by ?magnets and in trying to turn it around for a better pic it seems to have fallen off.....


What I took to be a Kelly's Heroes game turned out to be Aly's favourite - Toonkrieg WW2 - weird distorted cartoon tanks and people - it was the building drew me in...


What a Dinosaur! Cowboys and dinosaurs - a palaeontology anorak would have a field day I'm told pointing out the inaccuracies of wildlife - as if the concept isn't fantastic in itself. Me I was drawn by the train and then saw the flying reptiles - WTF! Nice train....



 Finally Wars of the Roses Test of Resolve one of at least two WotR games. Having bought the rules, I wish I'd had more time to at least speak to the person running the game as it was an idea to restart a very old WotR project. Some people pointed out the jarring mix of Kallistra hexes and green cloth - I think it was tilted to show a hill....


There were many more games, but most were so busy or small it was impossible to get close.

Shopping doesn't even merit a photo! 4 pots of Coat d'armes paint (yellows and a green) to ensure I can finish or expand the SK armies (mostly painted in old GW paints) - one of my yellows finally expired and Banst  in green are unfinished and also a nice Italian Red Earth / Terracotta tile colour. A couple of 25pdrs (Arab-Israeli), a magazine and some odd one-man tanks and a motorcycle rider from EWM for 20mm BCW.

Shaun was equally restrained while Graham picked up some bargains from the bring and buy tables - I only had a quick peruse as it was knee-deep in bargain hunters...

Apart from the social side, there was little attraction. Cost of entry and food / drink probably cancelled any postage savings and for others travel costs. It's nice to see stuff, but TBH the meeting friends is a better attraction.

10 comments:

  1. Good show report. I especially enjoyed your expanded narrative in Saturday’s VWC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan.
    TBH, the crowds were a deterrent and the concrete floor and noise from the venue were negatives. If I'm honest, I simply wasn't in the mood. I could easily have not bought anything. Even the photos don't really show why a couple of those games stood out. The only positive was meeting friends and acquaintances.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the show was more trouble than it’s worth. Though, I think that seeing the friends is a good plus and if anything; a day away from responsibilities.
    UK shows are on odd beast to me. Seems most are 1 day so participation games seem to be short 2 hour ish things and I’ve never really understood the draw of demo games. People seem to be under pressure to see everything and do everything and buy stuff. I could have it wrong of course.
    American conventions are usually the whole weekend and every game is participation games and many are long. Things almost seem lazy or indulgent by comparison.
    Though I have noticed that UK shows seem to have a average higher quality In presentation than USA conventions.
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew,
      The contrast between UK and US shows is much as you write. In the UK we don't have any shows longer than two days apart from Britcon which is a weekend of competitions, open to the public only Sat / Sun. Most shows are one day. Participation games are normally the minority apart from Hammerhead.
      The presentation aspect has become the norm due to demo games, some of which are more like static dioramas. While some have similar set ups at home, for most people more functional terrain is the norm.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. It was good to see you Neil, you took more photos than I did! I did actually manage to play a game (a commando raid, many thanks Wakefield Wargamers) but I was mainly on the hunt for paint and terrain items and ended up chatting to my pals in the DBA competition. I seemed to miss the BnB completely, but I wasn't looking that hard. Had to dash off as builders at home, but it is only an hours drive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin,
      Sorry we didn't have time for more of a chat. I was explaining to my friend magnetic printing paper as he was going to buy some magnetic sheet and glue paper to them!
      The B&B was an act of dedication! You had to find a gap and try to work your way around the tables, otherwise no chance of seeing anything!
      I think it was easy to miss stuff as it was a bit crammed in the middle of the hall.
      Neil

      Delete
  5. Sorry to have missed you on the day Neil…
    It was busy wasn’t it…I reckon if you’re not 100% comfortable in that situation it will definitely colour your opinion of the day.
    As with anything there were definitely good points and bad…
    The noise, The concrete floor and the big barn/building are my personal dislikes.
    Yes the Toonkrieg was very amusing/goofy.
    Your point on hidden demo games is interesting…I suppose these bigger games have that look and are probably less approachable than the smaller games… I personally felt that the smaller games were more attractive/engaging.
    Actually getting to play with toy soldiers will probably get more people into the hobby than just looking at a big beautiful game but there is definitely a place for both of them at our shows.
    Hopefully I will see you at Partizan.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly,
    Both times I saw you you were deep in conversation and in one case dashing away from a trade stand (Caliver).
    You name the three things that turn me off as well. I think they should cater more for elderly gamers since we are all ageing....carpets, comfy chairs, more toilets...☺
    It's a pity they don't use the other hall (the catering was nicer as well) with carpets...
    I confess I simply wasn't in the mood for a show; had it not been for meeting up, I would have stayed at home.
    The "demo" games I mentioned seemed not to have any players; again I suspect you would need several for a big game, so unless a group turned up it would be difficult to run a game which is probably why the smaller games were more popular.
    Agree playing rather than watching will get you into gaming. It would be nice to see more rules authors teaching their rules. Seems to work for the Lardies.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers for the photos and reports It's nice to see shows from the comfort of the front room.
    I think all games at wargame shows should be participation games, how else are we to encourage more people into the hobby. Looking at beautifully painted figures, terrain and models as a newcomer or potential newcomer will put them off if they cannot push the toys across the table.
    I find it easy to run participation games at wargame shows, mainly by myself but at times with one or two others helping. Simple rules and the willingness to engage with people is the secret of good games at wargame shows.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willz.
      Your views echo a friend of mine, Pete Foggin, who puts games on in the North East and Scotland; use simple rules, get people involved and playing. His games are often large (Barbarossa - all of it! Bautzen, Sea People's fleets in 10mm).
      Clearly a lot of the games were being played, but others seemed to have little going on. I don't know what stopped people playing; size? number players needed? or rules?
      I think it needs something other than plonk down a load of figures like a traditional big game to attract people's participation.
      Neil

      Delete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...