Sunday 8 September 2024

Painting progress report

With the success of my new painting technique of Contrast paint, AP wash and highlights in acrylic on flats, I thought I'd try on fully round figures.....

Some 20mm Revell 8th Army were the experimental volunteers:

Contrast Paint


Army Painter Strong Tone


Highlights to uniform, helmets, webbing and flesh





Total 30 infantry, approx 15 minutes per figure.





Some more Swiss Zinnfiguren have also had paint splashed on them...

Contrast





The perils of flats, besides extra arms and legs to look out for, you have to remember to paint both sides!

AP wash





Basic highlights






Final result after fettling and touch ups...






Did not measure the time taken for these, but not pictured are another 8 pike at finished stage and another 29 figures which have reached AP wash stage. So far two afternoons, I suspect another afternoon, but as rough calculations it's looking like 15-20 minutes per figure.

As can be seen, if you take your time a basic job of Contrast, AP wash and highlights produces nice results. For some people, they will be happy with only one or two of the stages. I cannot help myself doing the little bit extra....even then the results are worth the time put into it. By contrast (forgive the pun) painting SSM using black undercoat and basic blocked in colours probably takes around 5-6 hours for 8 figures or 4 mounted that works out at around 45 minutes per figure......

20 comments:

  1. That is a very effective technique and the results are very impressive.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I tried some experiments with 15mm using different undercoats and washes before after the Contrast paints as well as some 20mm Arab-Israeli with just Contrast paints. I found I needed to do extra work to get them looking how I wanted.
      This technique grew out of the flats. It exploits the detail on the figure. I am very pleased with the result.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. The 8th Army look rather splendid. The technique works and as you say, that extra highlight really lifts them.

    And the flats are looking as colourfully splendid as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, Neil! The "dip" method works especially well for earth tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, not so much the "dip" as Army Painter ink washes......
      I use dark tone on "cold" colours (blues, whites) and strong tone on "warm" colours (reds, yellows).
      I try for a pin wash rather than slathering them in the ink wash.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. Thanks Andy. What I like is I'm getting something similar to a black undercoat and layers and highlights.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 8th army bods look great, good technique and they make for a quick turn around. The flats are great, really very nice and super additions to your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, I was surprised at how good they looked after such a quick paint job.
      The flats are about half the remaining Swiss.
      Neil

      Delete
  6. Great looking figures, both the flats and the 8th Army.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed Neil…
    The 8th Army have come out particularly well….
    And once again the Swiss flats shine out… They will look splendid when they come to battle.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. The 8th Army was very much a trial to see how it worked. Even the Contrast paint looked good, the wash really brought out the details and a few highlights made them pop.
      I'm hoping to get all my Swiss out after I finish these to see how they look en mass.....
      Neil

      Delete
  8. Those 8th Army figures look great. I really like the shade of tan you've used for the KD, it looks just like the real thing (not the slightly orange toned reproductions).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I was working from a combination of an old 8th Army painting guide and those French magazine / books with models wearing real uniforms. While there are variations, British KD has a grey tinge to it.
      I used a 50:50 mix of Skeleton Horde and whatever the White is called. With Contrast it's hard to know what a mix will look like until you apply it. I thought I'd mixed in some grey, but it was more white, so it was a happy accident when it came out that colour!
      Neil

      Delete
  9. ooohhh, those came out rather well I think. Nice job.
    and a good production rate as well. stuff to think about.... 😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Stew. My first experiments ended up with a lot of over-painting to get them looking how I wanted; 15mm ECW and 20mm Arab-Israeli. I think it was seeing a youtube video by an Italian painting skeletons; he used Contrast paints then did an oil wash and afterwards highlights.
    So I tried white undercoat, pure Contrast paint then the Army Painter ink washes (Soft, Strong and Dark tone). At first it was a "what have I done moment?" ☺ It looked like I'd just covered them in gunk! Going back and adding highlights , pulled them back and the Contrast and wash had added depth.
    I now apply the Wash more sparingly aiming for the shadow areas.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking work all around, Neil.

    ReplyDelete

Zinnfiguren progress

A bit of a photo dump this time. The (hopefully) last of the Swiss.... Command /flag stands - since these photos I have fettled obsessively ...