As promised, here's an attempt at a step-by-step guide to the evolved painting method using Contrast Paint and Army Painter washes followed by acrylic touch-ups / highlights.
As I was painting, I did think of a new name - the "Henry Cooper" method - as in the Brut adverts "splash it all over" although to be fair the later bits are more Tommy Cooper - "just like that" 😆😆
Minifigs 15mm Celts (Gauls / Britons) - grey spray primer.
Step one Contrast Paint
I just try to keep it as neat as possible, but inevitably some colours splash over parts you don't want. Instead of touching up - re-priming and reapplying Contrast, I just cover up the errors with step 2...
Step 2 Army Painter ink wash - in this case Dark Tone to replicate the black undercoat method. You could use Strong Tone, especially for flesh. Note it results in a "what have I done...." reaction first time. If possible, I try for a "pin wash" in the deeper recesses, but often, as here, the whole figure is covered.
Step 3 highlights in acrylic - here I have just done flesh simply to show how just this lifts the figure.
Now the same for the main colours...
Step 4 Fine detail - in this case the black and white, with shield designs in black, followed by white, red and yellow normally - it also allows for a mix of white, yellow and red for hair and moustache highlights
Final stage, metals, a lighter flesh highlight to faces and raised areas and any corrections. Also the base got a coat of Vallejo khaki - I read somewhere covering the paint splashes on the base makes a big difference.
Hopefully this is of interest - just my way of trying to match black undercoat figures.
The Contrast Paint and AP wash were a couple of sessions after work, maybe an hour at most. Rest of painting was about 4 hours yesterday and two today so maybe 7 hours total for 20 figures - roughly 21 minutes per figure - more than the WW2 in simpler uniforms.
Good results and interesting to see your painting process.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jonathan. Looking back it has evolved since first attempts.
DeleteNeil
Thanks for sharing, I've yet to use contrast paints, may give them a go
ReplyDeleteThanks Neil. They give brighter results on white or cream primer; they are not magic, but can give quick results. I use them as a stain / wash removing small amounts of pigment and medium onto a palette.
DeleteI found I needed more contrast ( forgive the pun!) such as a black undercoat gives.
First experiments here:
https://aufklarungsabteilung.blogspot.com/2023/06/something-different-ecw-experiment.html
Neil
Always like to see other folks thought processes and enjoyed seeing your one and the end product looks really good.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie. I find seeing how others do things is always interesting. At the VWC the consensus was everyone id different and the only person you have to please is yourself.
DeleteNeil
Most interesting and effective.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
Thanks Alan. It has taken a while to get to where I'm happy with the results.
DeleteNeil
I think we've all been there with a "what have I done?" moment doing washes! They look really nice. Hmm, I rather like the look of those neat bases, I usually just cover them up with flock, but I can see how they would make a difference.
ReplyDeleteHi Neil,
ReplyDeleteSplendid write-up. It is always fascinating to see how other people manage their painting process, and the end results look superb.
Cheers, Andy
Thanks Andy. Everyone is different. I make it a point never to criticise how others paint. I also refrain from offering advice unless asked. I've been painting figures for about 48 years now (!) and have tried lots of techniques to get to where I am. What I want now is something relatively quick but which gives results I can live with.
DeleteNeil
Hi Neil,
DeleteAbsolutely spot on. Finding a method that hits that perfect balance between speed and a standard you are genuinely happy with is the ultimate goal in this hobby.
Cheers, Andy
Thanks Martin. Yes it's a sobering and deflating moment when you think you have ruined all the work of blocking in colours!
ReplyDeleteThe AP ink washes work well; I prefer the brown strong tone as it doesn't kill the colours like the black dark tone does, but here I'm trying to match black undercoated figures.
On the flats, the choice was made by colour brown strong tone on warm colours (reds, yellows) and black dark tone on cold blues and greens - soft tone for white and flesh.
The base thing was something I read somewhere; it's surprising how much of an improvement it makes and how it distracts the eye when not done.
Neil
Loving the Cooper method. I will use this for specialty figures definitely, though I am much less discerning with regard to quality these days, and have fallen in love with contrast paints...though I am liking your thoughts on highlighting with acrylics, which I normally only do if there has been a cock up.
ReplyDeleteI once had a bad experience with inks, though re-reading your article may talk me round I think...
Just like that Darren!☺☺☺☺
DeleteThe Army Painter ink washes seem to have changed formula - some no longer say "ink".
I'd suggest Strong Tone rather than Dark Tone unless the figures are in lots of armour as it can kill the colour a bit, although very good for cloaks be they blue, green or even red.
It can be very off putting, but just highlighting in normal acrylics brings the figure back from what looks like a complete disaster!
If you look at the "painting" label you can see various experiments - it was the flats that suggested this method.
Neil
Interesting technique. Looks very effective.
ReplyDeleteThanks Chris. It works for me!
DeleteNeil
Nice work and at 21 minutes per figure you can quickly make a dent in those unpainted figures.
ReplyDeleteThanks Peter. Based on using the same technique on WW2 desert British 20mm, the time depends very much on the number of colours (they worked out at 15 minutes a figure). So, Romans say with one or two colours + metal and flesh would be much faster; Numidians faster still.....
DeleteIrregulars, unless batch painting identical figures the same (mix up for basing) is going to take longer.
Neil
A nice clear tutorial Neil…
ReplyDeleteIt’s always nice to see how others approach painting their toys…
All the best. Aly
Thanks Aly. I think it's similar to your method.
ReplyDeleteNeil