Sunday 10 July 2022

Slow weekend

With the weather very hot, painting has been limited this weekend. I suspect even a wet palette wouldn't have coped with the heat on Sunday.

I therefore limited myself to finishing the stand of Estavian Cuirassier I started last weekend; main colours were done it was a case of touching up fine black lining and redoing colours where this strayed over them. Took longer than expected but finished by Saturday evening. This morning I varnished them (Wilco diamond clear gloss acrylic - fast drying) which even with the cooler temperature this AM didn't take long before they were dry.

I contemplated more painting, but the rising temperature and the knowledge I wouldn't get anything finished (have to tidy everything away), decided me on some modelling.

The Israeli Shermans had some work towards completion; brackets added for searchlights and attempts made to drill holes for MG and radio antenna. I say attempts as I only managed indentations. I suspect my cheap mini drill bits are not up to the job, or I need to find my electric mini drill.

I did however do some work on the cast hull M51 and (single cast hull) M50. While researching searchlights, I'd noticed the cast hulls on the models I'd used (Boley Sherman) were not quite right. Had not noticed until then despite working on extensive conversions! Turned out easier than expected.

6 comments:

  1. I like to sit in the garden to paint sometimes, but the heat this weekend would have just dried up the paint in the palette! Glad you managed to make some progress, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    Have you tried a "wet palette" ?
    It's easy to make a homemade version.
    Get a plastic takeaway carton. Soak some kitchen roll that will fit inside. It needs to be damp to full of water but not wringing wet. On top of the kitchen roll place some grease proof paper the same size.
    I've found it's easier to use the lid as the base and put the carton over it, otherwise you have to dip into the carton.
    Add a blob of paint but don't dilute. Water should seep through the grease proof paper by capillary action, keeping the paint moist. When not painting, seal the carton and the paint should still be useable.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad weather is conspiring against your productivity. My game room and painting table are situated below ground in a basement. It stays cold year-round so no excuses from me to stop painting due to heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Temperatures are around 30 degrees C (86 degrees F).
    Today has become overcast so humid rather than bright sunshine.
    I used to have a large workshop (mostly corrugated iron) which resulted in very hot summer temperatures and cold winter (so cold couldn't feel my hands).
    I do envy American houses as you seem to have more space indoors. In the UK cellars tend to flood so are not seen as much as in the US. In my case I'd be nervous of uncovering coal mine shafts!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn’t sound like that slow of a weekend. My paint desk is inside in the deepest darkest corner of the house so heat doesn’t really concern me. But getting enough light is sometimes hard. Glad I found your blog. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stew,
    Nice to see you here. Hoping to do some more done this weekend and take some photos.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...