Saturday 23 September 2023

First of the British line

While conscious I probably should be concentrating on the next Soldier King army, I have found myself distracted by the French & Indian War......

Many years ago when up in Newcastle, I had eventually embarked on gaming the Seven Years War after a couple of abortive or half - hearted attempts (15mm followed by Spencer Smiths) in what was then 25mm scale.

While I really wanted to do Austrians, I found my opponent, Pete Foggin had British and some Austrians. We lacked Prussian, French and Russian armies. I therefore found myself building an army of the hated Prussians (using Pete's sculpted and cast figures - having to add command figures as Pete was too egalitarian to make any!).

Parallel to that, I contemplated French, but soon found myself straying from Europe to North America.....

Hence, although my French army had cavalry added, the infantry were the regulars sent to Canada. Native Americans were added, along with other bits. At some stage we refougt the battle of the Plains of Abraham (or Quebec if you prefer). The armies had been built for WRG 1685 - 1845 at 1:50.

I think for the battle we may have used an adapted version of Loose Files and American Scramble. While I had enough French line and we could scrape up enough British from Pete's figures, there were a few gaps that needed filling. I painted very quickly using washes, Canadian militia, Marine and some British light infantry (as Pete had none). I also had a sculpt from Miliput I'd made intending it to be a Native American. It turned out too tall and gangly so was abandoned. Discovering the figure when preparing for the game, I looked at it and started seeing a very close resemblance to General Wolfe......

A bit of work and a unique figure for Wolfe emerged. I don't remember much about the game apart from the adapted rules not working that well. The LI performed magnificently.......for the other side as I was playing Montcalm!

For years, the LI and Wolfe have been the only British completed; looking at the unpainted items, it seems I bought some British and Americans to provide opponents to the French. The recent purchase of the RSM / Pax Britannica 30mm and Rafm 25mm have added to the pile. However, I now have enough British to provide opponents (or will do once painted).

After much contemplation, it seems fitting to build the British around Wolfe's army at Quebec; 2 units with yellow facings, two with white, one each with orange, black and buff plus Highlanders, converged Grenadiers and a few Rangers.

The first 44 rank and file have been cleaned up.


While cleaning them up I listened to an audio book of Fennymore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans.

12 comments:

  1. FIW is a terrific distraction! I should pull mine from boxes and get them back out onto the table for a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I have also acquired lots of reading material - currently reading Bonin's memoires.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Hard to go wrong with RSM/Pax Britannica! They look good already in their unpainted state.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stokes, nice to see you here.
    I remember when they were first released - very expensive. While supposedly 30mm (like Spencer Smiths) they are dwarfed by modern figures.
    I think it's the anatomical correctness that makes them elegant.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see more RSM. Do you find the British figures (at least the SYW ones) to be very slim? Especially compared to such as the Prussians?

    Look forward to seeing them painted.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy,
    Not sure I can answer as I only really have British and French figures to compare; I have only seen pictures of the Austrians. The only Prussians I have came recently; charging and charging officer. The British and French clearly use the same dolly as the marching, advancing and firing figures are identical. I don't have other nationalities marching ( there are some Hanovarians somewhere but not to hand) and the other charging figures are Americans. I would say the latter in hunting shirts are chunkier and some appear to be by another hand. The Prussians I thought were Austrians; in fact they may be Hanovarian as they have cuffs similar to British. They will become American provincials with a little work. They may be very slightly more substantial, but it could just be the marching pose is thin?
    The various drummers have a common dolly. The officers are however all different! I have rangers and a few indians and the basic advancing, standing firing and kneeling firing seem to have the same basic dolly for each which are identical to the French and British.
    I know you use a lot of marching figures, so you may be best placed to see any differences between nationalities.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,

      Most of my RSM are Austrians and Prussians. It seems clear that the Prussians were the originals and tweaked to make the Austrians as they are just a little bit slighter.

      When I wanted Brits I sent RSM this pic:
      https://blog.belisarius.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/origbrits.jpg

      And asked if the current Brits looked like this. They figures seem very similar in stature to the Austrians... I'd seen some Hanoverian RSM and they were VERY slim figures but the same pose... What I got was some very slim Brits. If you compare them to the Prussians it looks like the same figure has been used and possible moulds made from production figures several times such that they have got slimmer and slimmer...

      https://blog.belisarius.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/comparejpg.jpg

      I have tried painting them but they are really nowhere near as good as other RSMs....

      https://blog.belisarius.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/brit.jpg

      I just wondered whether ALL Brits were this slim or if older (with older moulds) were close to what I consider 'proper' RSM?

      Cheers

      A

      Delete
    2. Andy,
      I see what you mean with that comparison picture!
      The original Pax Britannica were in pewter and expensive 50p per figure in 1980.
      Before moving to RSM (Rusty Scabard Miniatures) then DPC, they were available in the UK from Vandrad - not sure if they imported or produced in UK. All these companies used white metal.
      My French are mostly advancing. I did find one with a miscast leg and have noted differences in the castings - some have cast on muskets, some are open-handed.
      The small figure in your comparison looks to have had too much pressure applied to the mould - apparently you can increase size and bulk depending on the mould pressure.
      If a casting is used instead of a master, this will compound matters.
      I think the original PB figures and first runs afterwards were probably better and used better quality metal. My British show a range of shinyness!
      Neil

      Delete
  6. Excellent choice of audio soundtrack whilst painting - I also listened to the film soundtrack loops on YouTube whilst painting 54mm Rogers Rangers and Woodland Indians and FIW figures using Featherstone's first Wargames book 1962 - Close Wars appendix FIW 2 page rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,
    I read the book many years ago and confess to have forgotten a lot of it. I remembered the language being very C19th, but not some of the attitudes (Cora's parentage). The most recent film diverges, yet keeps a lot almost verbatim from the book (the parts with Montcalm).
    I also struggled with the sequel, which sadly has none of the impat of the first.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classic looking figures, Neil. I went for the chunkier 28mm figs as I plan to do more of a skirmish scenario - smaller units, figures individually mounted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dean,
    Were I starting from scratch, assuming I went for 28mm and not 10mm or 15mm, I would probably have gone for the newer chunkier ranges. As it is I'm adding to existing figures, so have stuck with slim 30mm RSM /PB and 25mm Rafm. Anything else has to fit with them, such as OG.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats. Some more Gascon "Adventureur" c...