Sunday 10 December 2023

Soldier King parade - Electoral Army

A fellow wargamer who I have managed to inspire (infect?) with the Soldier King bug, recently asked after acquiring a copy of the GDW boardgame, "where's all the background information?"

I had to point him to the back box cover of the game as being the total sum of background.....the rest of the information from my take on the game as a campaign comes from my imagination.....with a little help from historical uniforms and forces.

The following is the last of the painted armies so far completed (there are four more to do and some bits and bobs). This army is formed from the various neutral states in the game, in this case those with an Electoral city that form part of the Estavian Empire. There is an additional "Electoral" state but the ruler's character and diplomatic outlook, means he is hostile to just about everyone! He will go his own way.

I saw these states as akin to the minor German princelings of the C18th who were part of the HRA and who could be called upon to form the Reichsarmee. With echoes of "Charge" I decided this would in my  Imagi-Nations become the Electoral Army.

In order of painting I present:

The army of the Archduchy of Naervaron

Ulrich Fischreiher Archduke of Naervaron



Christian Fischreiher Erbprinz of Naervaron



Corps commander Hans Leonhard Grau Graf von Honnef


Divisional commander Von Neusatz (Klaus Fels) with Naervaron Dragoons and Hussars



The infantry L to R: Erbprinz Lebgarde Grenadiers, "Schwartz", "Weiss" and "Rot" regiments



Artillery



Naervaron army



The army of the Margravate of Cotlas

Reinhard Wulf Markgraf von Cotlas



Emil Gustav Wulf Reichsgraf von Cotlas



I Cotlas Horse (uniform inspiration from one of Andy McMaster's units)



II, III and IV Cotlas Foot


Cotlas artillery with Arndt Tobias Ziemlich Graf von Brand in background


Cotlas Army



The Army of the Duchy of Bern

Fabian Schiefer Herzog von Bern (ironically one of my Fimo creations which got over-cooked and close to being "von Burnt!")



His brother Martin Theodor Schiefer the dashing Erbfurst zu Bern



Bern Hussars led by Friedhelm Gustaf Knochen Graf von Ernst



Bern Infantry 1, 2 and 3 regiments


Bern artillery


Bern army



The army of the Prince-Bishopric of Cleve

Maximillian Greisenkrahe Prince Bishop of Cleve (vain introverted with a poor sense of direction, I tried to capture the latter in the sculpt; observers have noted the horse seems to know which way he should be going......completely unintended but so appropriate!)


His brother Kaspar Greisenkrahe Prince of Cleve


Corps commander Hugo Koks Count D'Alzey


Division commanders Emil Sebastien Silber Graf von Leuche and Albrecht Wilfried Durchslag Graf von Kiedrich



Cleve Cuirassiers


Cleve Horse Grenadiers (as skirmishers)


Cleve Standing Grenadier regiments V and VI


Clever Musketeer Regiments I to IV


Cleve artillery


Cleve army



Whether the army will ever fight as a unified whole is unknown - they all lie to the West  but face threats from Hrvatska, Bravance and Argozia. However, I did try to tie them together through the use of blue while maintaining their own character and personality. The army as a whole is weaker in cavalry, artillery and light troops compared to the armies of the Soldier Kings. Like the real life Reichsarmee, the shortfalls will have to be made up from Imperial (Estavian as oppose to Austrian) troops.

20 comments:

  1. Another superb looking army! Love the cornflower blue with pink facings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are excellent! The Cotlas Horse do look splendid in a shiny uniform 🙂 I do envy you having this 'defined' project that doesn't suffer from the random megalomania of my own ImagiNations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I confess that the project has "developed" over the years. It started with the idea of " just" the four "player" Soldier King armies, each with 12 units. It plodded along like that for a few years, before stagnating.
      When I revived it, it began to grow, first to include a "white" imperial army, then the smaller states, then increasing the armies to 24 units....
      I still need to increase the imperials (+6 units) plus add some "Imperial militia" ( 4 units) to allow the electoral states to defend themselves if attacked and finally some rebels / civilian militia....
      Megalomania has many forms! ☺
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Thanks Jonathan. I assume you mean the Cotlas artillery?
    I just picked colours for each army along with a heraldic device (from a set of GW Transfers for Warhammer). So Naervaron were blue and white with a blue boar, Cotlas pink with white stag, Bern orange with black griffon, Cleve white castle - went for grey and blue.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog and your armies are awesome, Neil. You've made a lovely job of those Spencer Smiths, no mean feat, and the command figures have plenty of character to match.
    And I've just seen the Israeli tanks - brilliant.
    Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, nice to see you here.
      The Spencer Smiths took a bit of planning to get the look I wanted. The "flash" is a challenge and they need a coat of varnish before the undercoat to stop the paint shedding.
      I find you have to paint most of the details on.
      I don't know how you find the metal versions, they don't look like they have much more detail!
      I couldn't face painting your sized units! I'd never have finished an army by now!
      The Israeli vehicles were a bit of trial and error. I was inspired by an old Military Modelling article to have a go, as Roco did most of the main vehicles. Little did I know just how much work it would involve when I started! I did manage to do things I never thought I'd be able to like scratch building AMX-13 turrets!
      Neil

      Delete
    2. Thanks Neil. I'd not appreciated that you'd worked on the plastic SSMs......It explains why your chaps look somewhat finer detailed than mine, which are all metals from the WAS range. The metals types have lumps and bumps all over the place, but at least they can be filed and drilled easily enough.
      I remember that Military Modelling article very well. It had the same effect on me, and it's such a pleasure to see that you've taken it to the next level.

      Delete
    3. Iain, the plastics have the joy of unlimited flash which is a pain to remove ( many, many scalpel blades and injuries). In addition, some of the figures are miscast, especially towards the end when Peter Johnstone had the moulds ( before he switched to metal). Some of these figures had bulges and sink holes or incomplete moulded bits or additional plastic lumps. The detail suffered as well. I have acquired earlier figures which have far more in the way of details. Sadly however, the older the figure, more risk of brittle deterioration with snapped ankles, muskets ( had some which literally fell to pieces).
      From what you say, it sounds as if PJ used some later figures as masters for the metal range. I know a lot were conversions including head swaps.
      Neil

      Delete
    4. If the SSMs hadn't been available in metal I wouldn't have considered using them. I received a pack of the SYW/AWI plastics when I was a teenager and was thoroughly disappointed. I don't think I ever got over it - well, probably I did, but you know what I mean. That said, I'm convinced Peter used the lead off the local church's roof for some of his castings! [Sorry Peter if you're reading this]

      The WAS 'sub' range was converted by Rob Grace by the way - have you seen his armies?

      Iain

      Delete
    5. Iain,
      I bought my first SSMs from the man himself, Ronald Spencer Smith and like you was distinctly underwhelmed. Soft brown plastic (including some Connoisseur Fusileers) they were painted up (in enamel paint) as Austrians and Prussians. I have them still, based foe WRG 1685 to 1845 rules.
      When I embarked on the current SSM madness, I thought long and hard about painting them and spent ages looking at the Wargame to determine what made them look special. Aside from the huge massed regiments (which I couldn't face painting) it was the black lining and things like gaiter buttons that stood out. I realised I could get the same effect from a black undercoat. I wish I had the finances and patience to paint 48 figure units, let alone the 20 foot table to deploy them, but I don't. From what I've seen, such games never really conclude. They belong to another age.

      Yes, I've seen Rob Grace's lovely armies.
      Neil

      Delete
    6. Yes indeed. It's the little touches that make the difference.

      I went for big units to start with, but 48 figures fitted with hardly anyone else's toys, so I split them up and doubled the size of my army.

      On the plus side, I have considerably more money than sense. Sadly, I don't have much money!

      I never had a copy of The Wargame. Charge was my bible. Although my club used the WRG 'Flinch Point' rules which preceded the 1685 - 1845 set.

      I look forward to your next post.

      Iain

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking Germanic types, lovely finish and nice flags !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Iain. The uniforms were inspired by all sorts, Charge Erbprinz, to Prussians in pinks, Dutch "Blue Guard" with orange. The flags were Reichsarmy, older German styles and plain old trial and error!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You really have a lot of imagination(s) going on Neil. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris,
    It started as a "small" project honest!
    The idea was to turn the boardgame armies into figures, keeping the figures density low so as to complete 4 armies. They were originally 12 units. I bought enough figures for this premis.
    That was back in the late 1990s. House moves, work and all sorts of real life meant I had only completed Bravance and Hrvatska, un- flagged and unbased before it all stalled.
    I started the blog in 2009 and it must have been around then I seriously commenced work on it again. I acquired more figures as I'd decided the armies need to be 24 units and that the neutral provinces needed an army or armies. I also made more Fimo "Groteques". As I acquired more figures, it grew so that all the provinces would have an "army" of sorts.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully colorful and eccentric! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Peter!
    It's probably even more eccentric than you think.....
    I ended up with a "plastics only" rule (stretched to include Fimo / Sculpy). All the various families were named by using a German dictionary and picking "colour related" names that appeared with first names added from a list of German or Germanicised names. All have characteristics from Tony Bath's ideas, so a predominant one from War, Honour, Love and Wealth and a dice determined number of other characteristics tweaked for C18th.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  11. I speak a modest amount of German so I recognized much of that; we used ideas similar to Tony Bath's for the rulers, royal families,, etc., in our own Renaissance pseudo campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic inspiration Neil, thanks for sharing your armies.
    I must get around to photographing mine and posting them.
    Just bought a 100+ SYW 30mm flat cavalry.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Willz,
    Thank you. Get yourself a blog; it's a great motivator. If nothing else it's a great record of what you've done.
    I thought the flats were "just a little project " ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats. Some more Gascon "Adventureur" c...