Monday 12 February 2024

All quiet on the East (Midlands) Front....

As the title says really.....the absence of blog posts is linked to a general lack of activity and if honest apathy.

Only managed to get back into doing things in the last couple of weekends, prior to that a few just slipped away. Even when actually doing something, it seems all too soon before it all has to be packed away before Monday and the desk becomes a workstation.

So, what have I managed to do? Well a spot of modelling and much distraction......

The modelling has involved the Jordanian army of 1967. Mostly infantry, they did field two armoured brigades, some independent tank battalions and possibly a mechanised brigade (the Royal Guard - did not see action - possibly Centurion battalion and one or two M113 mech inf).

The M-48s have had some remedial work; I was never happy with the jetisonable fuel tanks - these were altered to be level instead of sloping downwards. Some tiny details were added and this improved them no end. I then had a go at adding the MGs to the commander cupola. First attempt wasn't quite right, so after some googling for photos, a second attempt was made. Not 100% accurate, but better than attempt 1.

The M47s were glued together and a start was made to add details, beginning with the turret rails (from wire). Frustrating and accompanied by much swearing!

I also discovered the M113 I had put aside needed to be swapped; it seems those in Jordanian service removed the rubber track guards and the front shield - at least all the photos I could find showed this.

Finally, I added some bits to the scratch-bodged M52 SPH. While probably good enough, I was still not happy as the turret is wrong and too tall. Today I managed to find resin versions on United-Fun so have ordered a pair - fingers crossed!

What else? Well distractions.....

Already led astray by the nostalgia for the unfinished F&I War stuff, it led inexorably towards the SYW.....

Way back when, it had been a collaborative project. I really wanted to do Austrians, but ended up building French (to face my opponent's British) and Prussian (or pseudo-Prussian being built out of a generic musketeer and dragoon with dedicated Fusileer and Grenadier figs all lacking command and commercially unavailable). The Austrians had taken a back seat with only a few units completed.

Since then, I had acquired Russians and proper Prussians and even some Prussians to use as Saxons and wanted to restart the project. Existing units were built for WRG 1685-1845, 12-16 inf 8-12 cav. Debated VnB but as attractive as that sounded, it felt like a duplication of the Imagi-Nations project....

An impulsive purchase on eBay of some painted Hinchliffe Austrians has tipped the balance.....added to what I have, it will give the Austrian army a boost. The painter had done something close to my style but had left some bits undone (neck cloth and pom-pom). I therefore did a bit of researching to see which units they could become...

Flags and bases will need redoing, but with some touch-ups will be ready for action sooner than bare metal......



22 comments:

  1. Neil, you continue making progress despite your sense of apathy and inertia. Without seeing your usually regular comments on my blog, I wondered how you were doing in your battle with what is hopefully only a seasonal malady or a side effect of your recent illness.

    Your box of Austrians looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I admit I've struggled to comment on blogs recently.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. A very nice ebay purchase, I love the Hinchliffe SYW figures I must admit, always like seeing them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donnie,
    They are nice aren't they? I remember pictures of Phil Robinson's Hinchliffe Austrians and Prussians in an early Wargames Illustrated that I always envied.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking Austrians. The Good Guys, in my opinion, in the SYW. I'm trying to balance my squirrel like tendencies as well. I have managed to get sucked into WW Not Quite 3, to play Cold War What A Tanker. Oh, this is less a hobby, than a disease, I think.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric,
      While Christopher Duffy has a lot to answer for, I can never have more than a grudging admiration for old Fritz and the Prussians, despite having to play them due to our division of forces at that club.
      I've given into the hoarding long ago; I'm now looking for ways to increase the painting productivity!

      Delete
  5. Fine looking Austrians, Neil. Your remarks on your Jordanian Army put me in mind of the border clash at Karameh, 1968. That fight seems to have been something of a tactical draw; but rather a political defeat for Israel. The operation looks interesting enough that I've thought of doing it as a 'disguised scenario'. Your thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ion,
    Karameh is an interesting one. The IDF does a cross-border "punishment" raid to punish Palestinian PLO raids and ends up fighting the Jordanian army. It's a fight that neither side was looking for and neither really won (although it depends who you read). The Jordanians were always the toughest opponents for the IDF, yet Jordan was the least hostile Arab power.
    In 1967, they put themselves under an Egyptian general who abandoned the deployment best suited to defending the West Bank, instead sent them to link up with non-existent Egyptian armies coming through the Negev! That and the total air power exercised by the Israelis did for them.
    They had also suffered as a result of "Jordanisation" where the British were dismissed and Jordanians appointed, most without the necessary command experience. The army had expanded to include town dwellers and Palestinians leading to tensions with the traditional Bedu. Some units were poor. Most fought well, some to the death to defend positions.
    Karameh led ultimately to Black September for Jordan; Israel should have learned that 1967 wasn't the norm, which led to 1973 and Yom Kippur.
    For a disguised scenario, I think you have three forces, each with a separate objective:
    1) The guerrilla force - survive and cause as many casualties as possible and act "heroically" to gain credit.
    2) the invaders who want to destroy / capture the guerillas but who do not expect to engage in combat with proper military
    3) the defenders, under the impression it's a full scale invasion, act accordingly to defend your territory.
    Armies of Sand and Arabs at War by Kenneth Pollack are interesting reads on how Arab militaries fight.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend Pollack's books for an understanding of the often contradictory performances of Arab armies - contrast the Egyptian crossing of the canal with 1967 and later in YK or Iraqui armies v Iran.
      Neil

      Delete
  7. Nice ebay purchase Niel, I have to thank you as I was tempted to buy them myself. So you have saved me from going down another rabbit hole😀.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Willz,
    I hummed and haared but thought the price was OK for the paint job and the amount of time I would save. They need a bit of work (he painted the neck stock in facing colour and musket straps in metal) but it expands my existing Austrians.
    Hinds has some Saxons (listed as Austrian) which are "interesting". Look like Foundry but with bright almost pastel colours and psychedelic basing! Just a bit too pricey for me.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on those saxons / Austrians Neil, just too much.
    Ian Hinds has some good prices. Though me not buying those Austrians you got, is more about paying out for Road tax, insurance, MOT and service for the car. Sometimes life gets in the way of hobbies.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I worked them out to over £500 for the lot.
      Real life is a b****r; work especially is a real thief of time, but it brings in the pennies.
      Still a few years before I can retire.
      Neil

      Delete
    2. Me I will retire by mid April - June this year.

      Willz.

      Delete
  10. apathy is a good friend of mine. I know him well. he comes around here every so often to crash on the couch and watch tv.

    Everyone goes at their own pace. If the fussing around with a bunch of different projects is the cure then go for it. not everything needs to be progress. I benefit from having a dedicated hobby desk so that i don't have to clean stuff away.

    ebay is also a good friend of mine, though I haven't visited him in a long time. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stew,
    With friends like that.......☺
    I'm wary of having too many projects on the go at once, but it is tempting.
    Having a dedicated space would probably help, but we are where we are.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it may be the sign of the times, Neil. I've also wandered to and from the hobby the last few month. Might be the weather - mostly gloomy here in the Pacific NW. As for straying into SYW from F&IW, I'm also looking into the Battle of Culloden for use of some of my F&IW figs. A decade or so earlier, but they should look okay. Also, it will give me a reason to paint up some Highlanders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dean, I think you may be right. It has been gloomy and wet in the UK, but I suspect it's the stretch between Christmas and Easter holidays may be a contributory factor.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suspect a large part of motivation is to get into a routine, that can make it easier to pick up and continue the project each time.. maybe the gloomy time of year doesn't help. But actually it looks like you've done quite a lot! Actual 7YW as well as Imagi-nations - that is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Getting into a routine is difficult due to my "hobby" room also being my "work" room, with the desk doing double duty. While I don't regret becoming a homeworker, it does mean I'm limited to weekends once monitors and computer equipment has been packed away. It also means packing up any painting or modelling come Sunday....
      Motivation for the weekend depends on what sort of work week I've had!
      Despite appearances, I could have been much more productive!
      Neil

      Delete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...