Sunday 18 February 2024

Minor gains...

Carrying on the "East (Midlands) Front" metaphor, the front has advanced a very short distance....

Carrying on with the Jordanians, the M47s received turret brackets from the wire found in telephone / Ethernet cables; very thin copper wire covered in plastic insulation. I used the same on the M48s having obtained some from an old internet cable.

The wire however didn't want to stay in place / stick! The M47 turret is an odd shape and the brackets are in pairs, but each side is different / asymmetric. My old superglue had gone thick which I thought might actually help; a couple of brackets kept pinging off. Even the normally reliable Revell Contacta Liquid Special was of no use. Perhaps I should have gone for quick dry epoxy. No matter, they were glued again with thick super glue and when set got some thinner super glue which seems to have worked. I will probably add some Green Stuff stowage.

Two models had lost the bow MGs; replacements were fashioned from wire with a little foil wrapped around. There's not a lot more to do with the M47s; turret MGs, jerrycans and some tarpaulins seem the extent of additions to Jordanian models.

As mentioned, I attempted to obtain some M52 SPH from Germany; Trident made a resin 1:87 version. Unfortunately, despite allowing me to add to the basket, they were unavailable. I found one in the USA, but postage was prohibitively expensive.

I have therefore accepted I will have to put up with my bodged version despite its faults. I added some stowage and will add further details.

3 comments:

  1. Minor gains are much better than no gains. Out of curiosity, how much was your quoted shipping from USA and what was the size and weight of the model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, I didn't get an actual quote; I contacted them to ask if they were available, and how many were in stock. They only had one at $46.99 and his response was that "the shipping would cost more than the cost of the item". Way too expensive. The model is discontinued. I may wait for a 3D printed version.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an expensive model. I recently sent a package to a gamer in the UK. Shipping was USD$30 for a package just under two pounds. Over two pounds but less than four pounds was about USD$44.

      Delete

Vive le Roi! (and some less salubrious persons)

The flats insanity continues; I have painted up figures for a stand to represent Louis XII. In addition, I found some rather ropey "kni...