Sunday 28 April 2024

Flats (flat out?) progress

Update and photo dump on progress with the French Renaissance army composed of Zinnfiguren flats.

Some more Gascon "Adventureur" crossbow:



  

In one of a large lot were several "Knights" in active poses but with a 3/4 view; I struggled to see how these could be mixed with side view figures on the same stand. I then realised some rule sets (DBA RRR, Impetus) used separate generals on round stands; these would also be needed for historic refights with multiple commands. So I decided to use the 3/4 view figures as commanders:

A generic infantry commander identity yet to be decided.



It was difficult to get the shading right so I was pleased when some members of the VWC said they looked fully round.

Next "De Foix" who can be Nemours or Gaston de Foix:



Lastly "Tremouille":



I hope to add flags with appropriate coats of arms in due course.

Next, I was never very happy with some of the figures used for the Picard pike; I found some figures to replace some crude conversions (may recycle as early Swiss):



I have shown some later "Archers" basically less armoured Gensdarmes, part of the "Lance"however, there is some evidence that in the early days they were indeed mounted archers. As the DBA 3 list includes such mounted archers (3-4 foot and 1 mounted on a base) I decided to include some. Pictures showing such troops appear in contemporary pictures of Charles VII invasion of Italy, especially some who could be the following ("archers" are listed at Fornovo in some accounts):

Garde Archers Ecosse (Scots guard archers).



As I had spare figures, I added some "normal" Archers:



Lastly the French artillery with crew from spare medieval figures. The chap with one leg in the air will have his foot resting on the cannon. He is not (despite Alan https://tradgardland.blogspot.com/) armed with a FAB lolly! I was trying to hint at a lighted match......😐

As has been pointed out (thanks Brian) he will be in for a shock when the recoil takes effect!

I have a WIP photo showing the basic Contrast paint finish before AP washes and acrylic highlighting.




To finish the army needs Swiss and Landesknechts; I'm waiting for some figures from Germany before I progress to the Swiss. There are also some more Gensdarmes that would allow for Maximillian / Impetus armies (which use 24 elements or double sized bases).

I intend to try out the various rules I have to see which best "fits" the Italian Wars. Other armies are the Spanish, Imperial and various bits for Italian states - I will probably have some dedicated troops for Venice and the Papacy and possibly Milan (cavalry) while the rest are likely to be more "generic" as Italian mercenaries proliferated in both Italian States armies as well as the foreign ones. I also have some Turks for a Machiavelli Campaign.

This has led me to think about naval aspects; despite lots of 1/1200th scale galleys I have been toying with the idea of 1/600th (some of which I may have) or 1/300th......that way lies madness however!


16 comments:

  1. Superb additions to you growing collection, some great work on show. I really like the "normal" archers, they are lovely figures. I was wondering about the strange pose of the gunner but can see it once you explain that he has one foot on the gun. Great post again, really enjoying your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I bought the guns without crew so had to improvise from what I had. I think the chap with his foot in the air was designed to be climbing a ladder (there were a few such siege figures). I do spend a bit of time looking at figures and imagining what they will look like on the stand, sort of like mini-dioramas.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. As Donnie says, these are superb additions to your rapidly growing collection. I am amazed at the animation of the figures and really enjoy your vibrant color choices. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The vibrant colours are down to the Contrast paints and white undercoat. The acrylic highlights look dull in comparison. I've tried to limit the pallete. The washes do dull the colours slightly.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Willz. I'm enjoying the painting so far and have to say it's more productive than a black undercoat, even when there's only one layer!
      Neil

      Delete
  4. More splendid toys Neil…
    The 3/4 view figures are particularly nice…
    Of course once you say a FAB lolly all you see is a FAB lolly 🤣.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aly, and of course the 3/4 view is favoured by Peter Dennis...
    Yes, I'm afraid he will be now forever "FAB lolly guy"! ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look fabulous, and as others have commented, the right course look amazing. I particularly like the slimness of the sculpts themselves. I used to be a diehard black undercoater, but increasingly I use white highlights over black, I provides contrast and makes the colours sharper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. There's something compelling about flats. I think the only fully round figures that get close are 30mm from Pax Britannica / RSM through to Cran Tara and the other Richard Ansell sculpts, but the flats beat them in animation and proportions.
      I too was a black undercoat with various numbers of layers from sometime back in the late 1980s; I had tried washes previously, but preferred the muted colours and black lines from black undercoat. Painting these - white primer, Contrast paint main colours, Army Painter dark and soft tone (depending on colour), then acrylic touch ups and highlights has been not only much faster than I expected, but also is giving a finish close to my black undercoat.
      Neil

      Delete
  7. Lovely figures and great work on the painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJT. I'm hoping after varnish, basing and possibly flags they will look even better.
      Neil.

      Delete
  8. the collection is growing fast as you are really churning them out. looking good too.! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stew. The technique seems to be faster even with my obsessive touching up. My SSM with black undercoat, one layer of acrylic paint, then touch ups were at best 16 infantry or 8 infantry and 4 cavalry in a weekend.
    I'd say 12 foot and 7 cavalry took 2.5 to 3 days, but in hours it would easily be 14 hours for the SSM v 9 hours for the flats (there are breaks to allow oils and washes to dry).
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely! Looking forward to an army review in due course..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. May be a while before we get to that stage!
      Swiss and Landesknechts will need to be cleaned, primed and painted, before the basing, but I think some more flags are needed.....
      Neil

      Delete

No money, no Swiss! The hills are alive!

The Zinnfiguren madness continues, this time with the ferocious mercenaries of the Swiss Cantons; the title of this post (at least the first...