Sunday 21 July 2024

This week I have mostly been......painting Spencer Smiths

As I thought I'd been neglecting my existing projects, I decided to tackle the half-finished army of Banst...

It was a bit of a change to swap to normal acrylics on a black undercoat after all the flats using Contrast paint on white...

To be honest, I'm not sure how the Contrast paints would have coped with the heat (I use a palette); as it was I had to extemporise a wet palette to cope with the paint drying too rapidly.

Quite aside from the challenges mentioned, I have to say I found it a slog to finish off the army; not sure why, but it didn't come easy. It was only when I completed the last of the infantry that I felt I was going to get them finished....

Still need to varnish, make flags and base with labels. Those jobs can be done after work next week and will hopefully keep up motivation. Still feels like there's a fair bit to do on the project.

Here is the army in their box, painted and on temporary card bases for painting:


The |Elector (top left) looks on with his son-in-law (middle) and Von Reuthen - more Fimo "Grotesques":


Infantry:



Cavalry:


Artillery:



The Elector, Erich Helmut Graufuchs, Kurfurst von Banst is an interesting character; when creating his personality, he turned out to be: War Dominant (equivalent to highest military skill), scandalous past, clumsy, elegant and a martinet.

Creating a matrix for how states view each other, it turned out he was either neutral or hostile to everyone else! In many cases, this was reciprocated! These seems to be a back story involving two Hrvatskan twin sisters, married to the rulers of Dupanen and Sinistria which may explain the scandal in the past and current hostility!

I see the army as one using innovations along the lines of Marscall du Saxe and his Legion with Neoclassical helmets....

His son-in -law is Gunter Elster Wealth high as main motivator, a well practised intriguer and unfit.

Herbert Kiefer Graf von Reuthen is Wealth (moderate), huntsman, friends in high places, elegant and a martinet...

Clearly discipline is strict in the Banst army...

A proper parade to follow when finished.

14 comments:

  1. Mustering the grit to push through pays dividends, Neil. Your army looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan. I confess it was more of a chore than an enjoyable experience, I'm not sure why. The motivation was to "just get it finished". Hopefully the next ones will be more enjoyable.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is ALWAYS my motivation for painting. "Just get it done already." 😁

      it's usually worth it at the end. Your dudes look good to me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Stew. Oddly, there are times when I actually ENJOY painting. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them! ☺
      I do enjoy completing units and armies...
      Neil

      Delete
  3. A good looking army. I like the choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. The colour scheme was very heavily influenced by the real life Saxe's Legion and his proposed ideal army - however I didn't go as far as no stockings and pikes!
      Neil

      Delete
  4. A striking uniform, they look great, cracking addition to your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donnie. Uniform notes as above. Hoping to crack on with flags and basing.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic selection of wonderfully painted Spencer Smiths, thanks for sharing and the inspiration Neil.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willz. I'd forgotten how difficult it is to see details on black undercoat! Next planned army is light blue and yellow combination....
      Neil

      Delete
  7. Classic Old School Neil…
    I’m looking forward to the parade…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Aly. Hopefully soon. Just finished drawing the flags but need painting. Still got to do bases, labels and varnish the figures.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good even if, sadly, you're not enjoying it. I feel fortunate that I'm one of those odd people who enjoy painting figures though I've been stuck on some Aztecs recently. I love the way that developing characters in campaigns brings the whole thing to life - love the back story of the twin sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brian. I'm not sure why I found it hard; it could be things like the white gaiters - normally I leave black - but it has taken a year to get to this point from converting and priming. I note from the blog archives I have struggled with other armies too!
    I've really enjoyed painting the flats using Contrast paint and washes; it's much quicker than black undercoat!
    One of the things I enjoyed about Hyboria was TB's characterisation, so I was determined to do it for Soldier King tweaking for C18th sensibilities.
    I'm hoping to start it solo to iron out campaign rules etc. Once I'm sure it works, I may involve other people as rulers. We shall see.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Sitrep - progress report or a tale of two model kits

Normally, I don't review products on my blog, but I will make an exception for a couple of 1:72 kits I have been working on.  The whole ...